We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long layover in Vienna. Travel into the city?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
357 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Long layover in Vienna. Travel into the city?

I am looking at a flight itinerary that features a 9 AM landing in Vienna and a 5:50 PM take off for my final destination. I have never left an airport during a layover. Might this be inadvisable in Vienna for some reason?

Presuming a trip into town is blessed, I have to presume there a place in the Vienna airport where you can store carry on luggage if you leave the airport? Any particulars on this would be appreciated (location/cost).

What time would I need to be back to the airport to re-check in and get to a gate for an international flight?

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Vienna
Level Contributor
5,797 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long layover in Vienna. Travel into the city?

With train you can be in center of Vienna in less than 30 minutes. You can have a nice walk through historic center and have a lunch. Normally it is enough to be back one hour before your flight. Airport has left luggage services:

viennaairport.com/jart/…Gepaeckdienste_en.pdf

If you fly Austrian you can also check it in earlier I think.

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
16,755 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long layover in Vienna. Travel into the city?

This recent thread might help you:

tripadvisor.co.uk/…55387167

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
24,582 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long layover in Vienna. Travel into the city?

It would be helpful if you stated where you will be coming from and where you will be going to! Info on airport services can be found on the website of Vienna International Airport, the link has already been mentioned above. It is likely that you get all boarding passes already at the 1st airport, so a re-checkin isn't necessary. Also be aware of visa regulations - if you are in possession of an US passport, then you will be fine!

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
357 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long layover in Vienna. Travel into the city?

Thanks everyone! Itinerary would be Chicago - Vienna-Kiev. This layover would be on a week day. Theoretical itinerary is with Austrian Air. Do I understand they may have their own carry on luggage storage area? If returning to the airport I expect we'd just have to check back in through security and an hour is sufficient for this, right?

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Kiev
Kiev
Ukraine
Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long layover in Vienna. Travel into the city?

Yes, yes, go into town. Please don't sit in that boring airport all day. When you leave the airport, you'll have to go through customs and immigration, but that shouldn't hold you up. When you get back to the airport, you'll have to go through immigration and security again. Personally, I would try to get back to the airport about 1.5 hours before the flight.

Take a pre-booked taxi to maximize your time (www.red-cab.at). Have a nice lunch in town and a coffee/cake at Café Central.

London, United...
Level Contributor
875 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long layover in Vienna. Travel into the city?

You may find the bus service more useful for your short trip. It is an express service and places you within a walk of the bar area and cathedral and centre of town. The train seems quicker but you'll need to then take a train or bus from there. . It will also save you having to bother with u bahn tickets. When finished simply get the bus back.

Enjoy your time.

7. Re: Long layover in Vienna. Travel into the city?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2015, 06:17