We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 nights, 1 day in Vienna, with Car

Minneapolis...
6 posts
Save Topic
2 nights, 1 day in Vienna, with Car

I know the "1 day in Vienna" question has been asked a lot here, but I can't seem to find good information for our situation. I'll explain & look for any help I can get.

We will be driving from Munich by Car, stopping off in Vienna for 2 nights, before traveling on to Budapest. We've previously stayed in Salzburg before, but my wife would rather give Vienna a look, even though we know 2 nights/1 day is way too short of a time for what this city deserves. Rick Steves recommendations are always to stay in the city center, especially as he always takes the train. Given we are driving a rental car, I need help to know if it's worth us paying a bit more and navigating our way to the city center area.

From there, should we just plan to walk around to the walkable sights? I saw 2 Vienna City Tours that look interesting, but not sure if we should spend our one and only day on them. The first is a 3.5hr city bus tour that includes Schnbrunn palace. We were recommend to take a tour to Schonbrunn vs the downtown Hoffburg Palace. The night tour (7pm) goes to the Praeter for a ride on the ferris wheel, and then out to a smaller town in the Vienna Hills for some live songs/costumes and wine (a "Wine Serenade" I believe). Please let me know if these are dumb ideas. Oh, and last note - I considered but am not planning to see the Opera Live. Might tour the opera house itself, but we won't have the right clothes, and don't want to spend the time/money to arrange for the opera (even the standing room tickets). Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Vienna City Tours
Vienna City Tours
155 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,638 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 nights, 1 day in Vienna, with Car

http://parkandride.at/

First, use the link above and leave your care in a Park and Ride. They are safe, inexpensive, and located at an Ubahn station for easy access to the city center.

It's not necessary to stay in the Inner Stadt because the public transportation in Vienna is awesome. Although, I always stay in the city center at the Pension Aviano – which is in the heart of Vienna

No tours – you can take the U4 to Schonbrunn and see the Palace on your own. Get a public transportation card and use the ubahn, tram, or bus to get to Prater. Go to Nussdorf for food and wine.

Have a great trip!

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Pension Aviano
Pension Aviano
422 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
Prater
Prater
7,623 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
2. Re: 2 nights, 1 day in Vienna, with Car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2015, 05:19