We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Salzburg and Innsbruck

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Travel to Salzburg and Innsbruck

I will be travelling to Austria in Sept. I am already planning on spending a couple days in Vienna, obviously. I am also travelling to Hungary, Croatia, Italy and Germany. I will definitely be cramped for time to travel to other places.

Is it worthwhile to ensure I spend a day in both Salzburg and Innsbruck?

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
21,319 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to Salzburg and Innsbruck

Whether including a certain place makes sense, also depends on your overall itinerary! While I would not really be willing to perform a detour to get to Innsbruck, I would seriously considering stopping there if I was close to it. It is likely that you will pass through Innsbruck anyway on your way from Italy to Germany. Salzburg is one of Austria's hot spots, so I'd try to include it.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,366 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to Salzburg and Innsbruck

I agree. if you can get to Salzburg, do. but as for Innsbruck, whilst it is interesting, it is hardly worth busting you gut just to visit it. relax in Salzburg instead and visit the surrounding salzkammergut.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to Salzburg and Innsbruck

Yes, I will be passing right through Innsbruck on my way up to Germany from Italy. I will try to set aside a day to tour the town. Any recommendations on what to do in both Salzburg and Innsbruck?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,082 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to Salzburg and Innsbruck

Hi,

Walk around the old town of Innsbruck, visit the Hofkirche and if it's a clear day, take a trip on the Nordkettenbahn. At least go up to Hungerburg (the first of three legs of the entire Nordkettenbahn trip), for views overlooking Innsbruck and out onto the Alps. The views from the Seegrube station (second stop) and the Hafelekar station (top) are worth the cost.

innsbruck.info/en/…-139075a778.html

http://www.nordkette.com/en

Schloss Ambras is also worth a visit.

www.schlossambras-innsbruck.at/en/…

Paul

Edited: 04 March 2014, 21:25
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to Salzburg and Innsbruck

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely look into doing the cable car ride up the mountain. Looks like it's a decent price. About 30E to ride all the way to the top.

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
170 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel to Salzburg and Innsbruck

Garmisch- Partenkirchen is a must- see in Bavaria and only 1h20min from Munich Central Station. There you can hike the Partnachklamm gorge (easy, short and scenic), take the cable car to Germany's highest summit, stroll over the twon center, visit the nearby picturesque town of Mittenwald. Garmisch- Partenkirchen is Germany's loveliest and most famous alpine town by far (also one of the biggest). It offers a lot of outdoor possibilities and many Muenchener go there during the weekends.

From Mittenwald (which is about 20min from Garmisch), there is a scenic train ride to Innsbruck. It lasts only 45 min and the rail section is one of the oldest in the Alps. Plus Innsbruck is the capital of Tyrol. There isn't much to do there, but to walk through the old city, have a cake and contemplate the huge mountains behind the city. Garmisch is an alternative, much closer to Munich and is way more livable, also as interesting as Innsbruck is, when it comes to tourism. You can still do both though. That would be the "cerise sur le gateau".

Salzburg is on the other side of Munich (to the east actually, while Innsbruck is on the south side of Munich). Think of Munich- Salzburg- Innsbruck as a triangle, Salzburg being on the east, therefore good to start your journey to Vienna/ Budapest. Innsbruck on the south, therefore on your way to Italy. So you can stop there as well.

Madisonville...
Level Contributor
68 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel to Salzburg and Innsbruck

While Salzburg and Innsbruck both have a lot of natural beauty, I personally think you already have enough on your plate with all the places you want to visit. Take time to slow down and take a breather. Otherwise, you will be to tired to enjoy the beauty and culture you will see everywhere.

Hope this helps!

8. Re: Travel to Salzburg and Innsbruck

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2015, 04:24