We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vienna in 7 Hours

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Vienna in 7 Hours

We are travelling (Me/Wife and 12yrs daughter) to Vienna from Prague in Mid April and reaching to Vienna at 11:55 at VIB,U3 Stat.Erdberg ( I think it's Euroline bus stop in Vienna )

Our return journey will start from Wien, U2 Stadion, Busterminal Stadioncenter, Engerthstrasse at 19:40 hours on the same day, literally we got only 6 to 7 hours in the city.

Can someone help to find it out how can we make the plan to visit the main landmarks (we are not much interested in museum visit, but would like to see main landmarks or main tourist attractions) do we need to take hop on hop off bus or any other way to visit the city ?

Also need to know how to reach to main city from the bus stop ?

Your links to concern websites are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Historic Center of Vienna
Historic Sites, Historic Walking Areas, Neighbourhoods, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Rathaus
Architectural Buildings, Points of Interest & Landmarks
State Hall of the Austrian National Library
Points of Interest & Landmarks, Libraries, Architectural Buildings
Rathausplatz
Points of Interest & Landmarks
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,105 posts
750 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vienna in 7 Hours

You can easily kill 6-7 hours by just strolling around the center including a lunch or supper break. Just go to Stephandom and start from there. Alternatively you can stop by a tourist information office near Oper and grab some info. They can also assist you.

www.vienna.info/en/travel-info/tourist-info…

Vienna
Level Contributor
3,093 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vienna in 7 Hours

It is very easy to get from Erdberg Station to the center: Take subway line U3 in direction to Ottakring and get off at Stephansplatz and you are right in the center. Stroll around in the city center for a while, heading to Hofburg (the old imperial Palace). From there you see the marvelous buildings of the museums of natural and art history. Walk up the Ringstraße (circular street surrounding the center) past the parliament and town hall. You can also use tram lines 1 and 2 (you while have to change from one to the other) to make a whole circle on the Ringstraße around the city Center.

Visit (from outside) also the Karlskirche and take a subway from Karlsplatz to Schloss Schönbrunn (subway line 4 in direction Hütteldorf). It is worth visiting the interior of the Castle, but if you don't have time left., just visit the gardens, which are the major draw.

Best regards,

Christina

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vienna in 7 Hours

Thank you very much for your kind help !

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,302 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vienna in 7 Hours

With your timeframe, I would stick to the center. Schonbrunn is great, but on your schedule, one stop too many.

Take the U3 from Erdberg to Stephansplatz and have lunch at Figlmuller's. Walk up the Graben and head towards Freyung. There will be an Easter Market happening in this square which you should definitely see (skip the market happening at Am Hof, which you will pass on the way). The Freyung Easter Market is very special with thousands of painted eggs on display and for sale. Walk up Herrengasse in the direction of the Hofburg. Stop in Café Central for a coffee and cake (a Viennese café is a must). Walk through the Hofburg towards the Ring; go right at the Ring glimpsing at the museums, walk past Parliament and the Rathaus. Get on the U2 at the Rathaus and head over to Stadion.

That's what I would do.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
15 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vienna in 7 Hours

Maulik, am visiting Vienna in early May by myself and hoping to get lotsa advice from u!

Have fun on ur trip! Cheers

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vienna in 7 Hours

Have even less time in Vienna in October. Thought of negotiating a morning taxi-tour from airport and back within 3 hours. Besides a cafe and pastry, was wondering about the famous Riding School or 1-2 historical sites. What do you suggest?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vienna in 7 Hours

Thanks everyone and obviously once I back, will try to help others as much as I can...

8. Re: Vienna in 7 Hours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2015, 05:15