We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport Tickets

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
718 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Transport Tickets

We are staying in the museum quarter for 3 1/2 days. (I think it's the museum quarter K+K Hotel Maria Theresia). Wondering if we need to buy a 72 hour pass for transport. We usually walk a lot. Do you think it would be a good idea to get a 72 hour pass or can we walk to most sights with the occasional tram trip.

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,620 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport Tickets

The hotel is in a nice location very convenient for walking. You will need to take the ubahn to Schonbrunn and to Nusdorf or Grinsing. You will also need to take the tram to the Central Cemetery and Prater (if you choose to go to those places). I, presonally, like to have an ubahn pass for times when I am tired and just don't feel like walking back. It's easy to jump on a tram or ubahn and not worry about scraping up change to buy a ticket. I hope you enjoy Vienna!

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
24,792 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport Tickets

I would frankly also opt for the purchase of pass. It is true that many sights are relatively close to your hotel but there will be occasions when taking public transport would either be comfortable or even necessary. For instance, in order to get back to your hotel when you have walked in one direction for a while, or, in order to get to places not located in a walkable distance to your hotel (Schönbrunn Palace, Prater, Grinzing, Kahlenberg Outlook, Belvedere Palace and many others). If you arrive by plane, a travel pass would already cover a part of the ride from Vienna Airport to your hotel in Vienna (supplemenatry ticket costing 2.10€ necessary).

Edited: 30 March 2014, 10:25
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
718 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport Tickets

Am arriving by train from Budapest. Train schedule says arrive first at Wien Meidling then on to Wien Hbf. I assume the train ticket isn't also good for the underground journey. Plan on taking the underground to Volkstheater. Should I get off at Meidling & take the underground from there or take it from Hbf?

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,620 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport Tickets

The train ticket is NOT good for public transportation in Vienna.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
24,792 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport Tickets

Well, if you bought a pass already at the train station, then your ride to the hotel would already be covered!

6. Re: Transport Tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2015, 05:17