We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2-3 Days in Vienna in mid August for 2 females in early 20s

Boston...
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Topic
2-3 Days in Vienna in mid August for 2 females in early 20s

Hello!

Myself and my friend are both females in our early 20s. We'll be in Vienna in mid-August for 2-3 days. We love history, music, and getting a sense of a place's culture. We'll be arriving and departing by train.

Do any of you have recommendations for an itinerary/things we should include? Additionally, are there any recommendations for good budget hotels, hostels, airbnbs, etc. there? I'll look at the TA ratings, but I'd love to hear some specific recommendations from people in this forum if you have any!

Thank you all in advance!

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,400 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2-3 Days in Vienna in mid August for 2 females in early 20s

Soooooo much to do in Vienna in two days - wonder around the city center starting at the Opera House, walk up Kartnerstrasse to St. Stephans. Go inside, take a our of the catacombs, and then the steps or elevator to the top of one of the towers. Coming out of St. Stephans, walk up the Graban and then to Kohlmarkt. You will run into the Hofburg where you can visit the Imperail Palace. (If you only have two days, I would choose to visit either the Imperial Palace or Schonbrunn Palace.) Walk a little further and you are at the Ring. You can cross over the ring and visit the Kunthistorisches Museum. Or, jtake a right and just stroll around the ring until you are back to the Opera House.

Things to do outside the city center include a visit to Schonbrunn Palace including the palace grounds. You can also visit the Schonbrunn Zoo - oldest zoo in the world. I've take a trip to the central cemetery to see the final resting places of many famous musicians. If the weather is nice, go to Prater and take a ride on the big ferris wheel - riesenrad. You can also visit the Belvedere museum.

As for a hotel - what is your budget per night. I like to stay at the Pension Aviano. It's not cheap, but the location is the best. It's in the city center on Marco D'avianogasse, which is a side street off Kartnerstrasse between the Opera House and St. Stephans (by the Kaisergruft).

Boston...
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 2-3 Days in Vienna in mid August for 2 females in early 20s

Thank you so much for those recommendations, especially with how to get from place to place. That's exactly what I was hoping for!

I'm already excited for the palace and hope we'll be able to see the zoo and cemetery you mentioned. Everything on that list sounds amazing!

I'd like to spend as little as possible while still being safe and comfortable, so preferably under 100 USD/night, though if necessary we'll go a little higher. Basically, we want to enjoy the trip while not spending a fortune! We'll also be able to use rewards in some cities, which might help the budget a bit!

Thanks again for the very helpful and detailed response!

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,400 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2-3 Days in Vienna in mid August for 2 females in early 20s

That's only about 73 Euros a night.... I checked a few places that's i've stayed and this one is right around your budget. It's called the Parkhotel Schonbrunn - part of the Austria Trend group. This is located outside the city center - about 15 minutes by ubahn - U4 (green line) - stop is called Hietzing. You literally get off the ubahn, go up the stairs and cross the street. When I was in Vienna in college (many, many years ago), we lived outside of Heitzing. So, we would take a bus to the Heitzing ubahn station, then the ubahn into town. There is a bakery next to the hotel and I think a wurstl stand at the ubahn station. It's been a few years since I stayed at the Parkhotel Schonbrunn, but it is very convenient to public transport and within your budget.

I'm sure others will offer suggestions as well. Or you can search the forum using the search function. I LOVE Vienna and am sure you will have a good time.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g190454-d206604…

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,183 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2-3 Days in Vienna in mid August for 2 females in early 20s

Be sure to spend at least one (if not two) evenings at the Rathaus (City Hall) for the food and film festival (occurring all summer). The place to be for drinks, good and reasonably priced food and atmosphere. Visit a heuriger as well - preferably one in Nussdorf! On a side note - August 15 is a public holiday.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
14,784 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2-3 Days in Vienna in mid August for 2 females in early 20s

Or the heuriger you recommended earlier Cherries?

Boston...
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 2-3 Days in Vienna in mid August for 2 females in early 20s

Thanks, KimBux, for that hotel recommendation. I am not sure where to stay in terms of location, so it is good to hear that that hotel is an easy train ride away. I'm also going to continue looking at the TA reviews (and some other websites).

Cherries - that sounds fantastic, so we might spend our nights there! I did not realize about the public holiday, but luckily we won't be there then. Our dates will be August 18 - 20 (or 21).

Thanks for the recommendations! I appreciate the time you take to help a stranger!

7. Re: 2-3 Days in Vienna in mid August for 2 females in early 20s

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2015, 05:17