We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vienna concert/opera recommendation for June 6,7,8 2014

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chennai (Madras...
2 posts
Save Topic
Vienna concert/opera recommendation for June 6,7,8 2014

Hi All,

First and foremost Thanks to all the members for making my life easier to plan my central European trip this summer :) I have read a lot of the earlier posts to get a feel for Vienna.

I am planning to visit Vienna this year on June 6, 7 and 8. From browsing the previous posts I see the following are the famous venues:

www.musikverein.at

www.konzerthaus.at

www.volksoper.at

www.staatsoper.at

http://www.theater-wien.at/

However when I go their websites I have no clue which shows to book online. Can you please recommend which is the best concert/opera I can book on any one of these 3 dates (i am willing to spend to get the feel for the culture).

The choice should ideally have English sub titles if applicable - also I will not be carrying my suit, so some show that is great and does not mandate very strict dress code

Looking forward to replies I want to decide and book online as soon as possible so that the tickets are available.

Thanks!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vienna concert/opera recommendation for June 6,7,8 2014

Mozart's opera Die Zauberflöte is one of the highlights of European culture

As is the building of the Vienna Staatsoper

So...

Don't know about sur/subtitles at the Staatoper.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vienna concert/opera recommendation for June 6,7,8 2014

wiener-staatsoper.at/Content.Node/…

Chennai (Madras...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Vienna concert/opera recommendation for June 6,7,8 2014

Thanks a lot for your reply. I went to the website to book, and they only had 197 and 172 euro tickets available - however they had a link to click with the following message:

If you cannot find any tickets in the desired price range, you have the possibility to book tickets here.

which takes me here:

https:/…

It says "Standby Ticket orders" - I also see this term in other websites - what does this mean? Can I still book tickets in other price ranges for the June 8 Mozart's opera Die Zauberflöte

Thanks

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vienna concert/opera recommendation for June 6,7,8 2014

I look to your inquiry a little differently.

I would recommend the Operetta " Lustige Witwe " The Merry Widow " at the Volksoper.

on the 8th.

www.volksoper.at

I believe that this makes for a very nice yet relatively inexpensive evening when compared to the State Opera.

The most expensive ticket is less than 90 euro- many tickets in good locations in the range of 40- 60 euro.

This is a famous Vienna Operetta. Some of the music you may know but not associate with this operetta.

Much fun, humor, and excellent music.

English subtitles- The program offers a synopsis of the Operetta in several languages including English.

This evening a good cast .

Even the Director of the Volksoper has a small part in the production.

The venue is very nice - most seats with good views and acoustics.

Avoid any obstructed view seat or those in 2nd row of a box.

Nice buffet at the pause or go across the street to the Opera Café.

Tickets going on sale now. see website above.

Numerous people do not like some of the current productions of Zauberflote- the staging a more modern atmosphere to the classic version.

Just for your info State Opera does have facilities for subtitles- those by the seat.

Standby is just as the phrase implies- you can place a standby order using price range and other criteria. The Opera will allocate tickets if they become available and advise you.

Also think about the outdoor live TV facility to allow visitors to view the evening production live on a giant TV screen on the Bristol Hotel side of the State Opera.

Free seating -

you can look on the state opera website to see which evenings in June have this.

5. Re: Vienna concert/opera recommendation for June 6,7,8 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2015, 05:16