We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Get from Vienna to Budspest via the Danube

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Get from Vienna to Budspest via the Danube

My husband and I will be spending 5 days in Vienna then one day for travel to Budapest. We'll spend 5 days there, then flying home. We discussed flying, then thought the train would be better to see the countryside. Now I'm thinking it would be wonderful to do it by boat to see the beautiful scenery along the Danube. Is there any such trip that would only take a day. Cost is not a problem. Thanks so much

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,519 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Get from Vienna to Budspest via the Danube

Forget it! There is/was a hydrofoil which was built during the communist era. It is uncomfortable and not as fast as it sounds. There are river locks which make the trips longer. And I have frankly never heard of a smooth vessel linking Vienna and Budapest (except cruise ships of course). Most people take the train, Austrian Railways ÖBB (www.oebb.at/en) uses its modern RailJet which takes you to Budapest in less than 3 hours. Alternatively, you can rely on express buses operated by ORANGEWAYS and WESTBUS (www.westbus.at). Nobody flies between Vienna and Budapest except those transfering to an other flight at Vienna Airport.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,962 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Get from Vienna to Budspest via the Danube

There is a hydrafoil service and we have done the trip in reverse but I have to say thet the scenery is pretty unimpressive apart from the locks. There is no real outside space and the trip takes ages and is expensive. The train is much better.

http://www.mahart.info

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
15,354 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Get from Vienna to Budspest via the Danube

I too have done it and would not repeat the experience. Frankly the scenery from the train window returning to Vienna was much better than that for most of the Danube stretch!

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Get from Vienna to Budspest via the Danube

Most of the trip from Vienna - Budapest has little interesting scenery.

The boat, a soviet era hydrofoil has been renovated, but still not a great experience.

Slow by todays standards, loud and not overly comfortable.

I would take the train.

5. Re: Get from Vienna to Budspest via the Danube

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2015, 07:15