We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

December Itinerary Help

Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Topic
December Itinerary Help

I am fairly unfamiliar with Europe; however, I know I want to see the most out of my trip. I will be traveling in a party of 4 Dec.27, 2014- Jan.3, 2015. I am looking for some advice on my itinerary. Below is my original thought.

Dec.27 Vienna (we fly into here)

Dec.28 Budapest

Dec.29 Prague

Dec.30 Prague

Dec.31 Berlin

Jan.1 Berlin

Jan.2 Vienna

Jan.3 Vienna (we fly out of here)

Is this a realistic itinerary for 8 days at this time of year? I am open to recommendations. We are planning to travel by train or bus once in Europe. What would be the cheapest, fasted way to get from my points A to B. Also, if you could elaborate on the cost of each train or bus as well as how long each would be, I would greatly appreciate it. When should I buy these train/bus tickets (what day or month) to get the best price?

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
15,055 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: December Itinerary Help

Four cities in eight days? My advice would be to reduce that to three, or preferably two.

Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: December Itinerary Help

We are hoping to hit the main winter/Christmas activities while there. We want to see any Christmas Markets that are still open after Christmas. Taking a sleigh ride is another things we would like to do. We were thinking being in Berlin for New Years Eve, but if there is a better location with wonderful fireworks we are open to that as well. We are not skiers; however, we wouldn't mind seeing the slopes or visiting an ice cave. Would you recommend Austria to accommodate our interests? Also, if you were to add 1 other country besides Austria, what would it be (I am aware we may need to change our location for New Years Eve)?

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,210 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: December Itinerary Help

A few comments:

1. You are coming after Christmas, so the markets will be finished. In Vienna there are a couple of markets that extend after Christmas to New Year's Eve, but they no longer have a Christmas feel.

2. None of these cities are near the Alps, so you'll have to visit other locations if you want to do a sleigh ride, ice cave or skiing and/or have a wintery feel. Also they are big cities and sleigh rides usually happen in the rural areas.

3. You are going too many places and you need to take the travel time into account. The train ride from Berlin to Vienna, for example, is 10 hours.

I suggest that you visit Vienna and Salzburg in your timeframe and forget Budapest, Prague and Berlin this trip. This will give you a mix of city and access to more rural areas. Vienna is fun at New Year's. If really want to stretch it, you could add a third city, but definitely not Berlin.

Edited: 02 May 2014, 19:52
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: December Itinerary Help

I found a flight for our specific days arriving in Vienna Dec.26 and leaving Berlin on Jan.3 for only about $40 more! Now, that I have my flights laid out more logically, would you recommend any other countries for my itinerary being that I am in Vienna first, wanting to be in Berlin for New Years Eve and leave from there home. I am planning to take the overnight train if it works out from Vienna to Berlin as to not miss out on any day time activities.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,210 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: December Itinerary Help

I think that Vienna and Berlin will likely and easily fill all your days, but you won't have time for any skiing, caves or sleigh rides. I would recommend that you fly from Vienna to Berlin - it only takes about 1:30 and there are many direct flights.

Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: December Itinerary Help

Wow! Thanks for the advice! It's actually cheaper to fly and it takes less time. What things would you recommend to do in or around Vienna Dec. 27-30?

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,073 posts
707 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: December Itinerary Help

There are many events planned for December already at this stage although they are more likely concerts and exhibitions though. Take a look at the site below for your knowledge.

wien.info/media/files/programmvorschau-dezem…

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,200 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: December Itinerary Help

An open-jaw flight (US > Vienna but Berlin > US) is the best solution for such a trip. Skip Budapest as it does not fit into the itinerary. You can now go Vienna-Berlin (1) or Vienna-Prague-Berlin (2). If you do (1), then preferably fly (www.airberlin.com), if you stick to (2), then take the train from Vienna to Prague (www.oebb.at/en) and Prague to Berlin (www.cd.cz/e-shop). There also is an express bus between Vienna and Prague (www.westbus.at). Forget sleigh rides, slopes and ice caves (closed during winter anyway) as you do not find those in cities!

Edited: 03 May 2014, 10:20
9. Re: December Itinerary Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2015, 05:16