We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Viennese treat suggestions

san francisco, ca
Level Contributor
106 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Viennese treat suggestions

I am coming to Vienna on a five hour layover and would like to leave with some treats for my hosts at my next stop in Hamburg. Does anyone have suggestions for something that I could find around the Ringstrasse or Naschmarkt? Apple strudel comes to mind, but I've never been to Vienna, so I am open to suggestions.

Thanks!

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,425 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Viennese treat suggestions

Manner bars - there is a Manner store next to St. Stephans or you can find them in any grocery store.

san francisco, ca
Level Contributor
106 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Viennese treat suggestions

Never heard of them, so I looked them up. Are you talking about the wafer cookie? Looks yummy, but if they can buy them at the store in Germany, may not be such a treat.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,210 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Viennese treat suggestions

I really don't think an apple strudel will hold up well - it will get really soggy. Why not consider a nicely packaged Sachertorte, not my favorite cake, but Vienna is famous for it. One from Demel or Sacher café would be most authentic.

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Viennese treat suggestions

Yes, Manner is the wafer with hazelnut/chocolate filling.

In Germany they a similar product called Hanuta : https://www.google.com/search?q=hanuta+wafers&rlz=1CASMAD_enUS542US542&es_sm=93&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=rdJ0U_GBKdKgqAaD1YHYBA&ved=0CFUQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=689

I may have lived in and love Austria, but I much prefer Hanuta.

If you want a true Viennese treat, find a store selling Pischinger products ---- especially the "Eckerl". Germany does not have an equivalent, and it is fabulous (all their products are).

http://www.pischinger.at/

pischinger.at/en/…krokant-eckerl

Pischinger actually has a store at the U4 station Kettenbrückengasse (come out of the station and turn to the right ---- it is caddy-corner across the street by the bus stop ---- Pischinger Abholmarkt is the name).

They have all of their products and those from some other manufacturers at slightly discounted prices.

san francisco, ca
Level Contributor
106 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Viennese treat suggestions

Thanks to all for the helpful replies. I am getting hungry thinking about them!

6. Re: Viennese treat suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2015, 09:16