We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Transportation to Schonbrunn?

Shenandoah Valley...
Level Contributor
190 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Best Transportation to Schonbrunn?

Hello! We are in Vienna now and are planning a visit to Schonbrunn tomorrow. There are four of us, two without mobility issues but two with. We are staying in an apartment very near Schottentor, so pubic transportation is very convenient. I'm aware of the way to get there by U-Bahn, but am hoping that there is a way where there will be less walking. Also, which of the two U-Bahn stops are closer to the palace entrance?

Sorry for such little notice for answering my question! If no one can get to it by the AM on Monday I do understand. Thanks so much!

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
15,895 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Transportation to Schonbrunn?

I don't think anything gets closer than the U-Bahn. I think the Hietzing stop is more convenient for a short walk to the park entrance.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
23,218 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Transportation to Schonbrunn?

Tram lines 10 and 58 would bring you a little closer to the main entrance. Line 58 can be boarded at Westbahnhof if that helps.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
15,895 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Transportation to Schonbrunn?

I like the approach via the Hietzing gate. Trams stop opposite the main entrance though you have a busy road to cross. And not every tram is suitable for people with mobility issues (though many are!). But you need to get to the trams, neither of which goes anywhere near Schottentor. Overall I still think the U-Bahn is easiest. It's a level walk from Hietzing to the Park and Palace. And every U-Bahn station has an elevator.

Edited: 26 May 2014, 09:51
vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Transportation to Schonbrunn?

Hopefully not too late- I find the easiest way to reach the main entrance to Schonbrunn- 2 minute walk to the ticket entrance

Take the streetcar # 58 from the Westbahnhof -

The #58 begins its journey from just outside the train station - strretcar ofrtn waits ther - Westbahnhof is served by the UBahn lines U- 3 and 6 - easy to reach.

You will see Schonbrunn directla ahead of you before the exit stop .

Just cross the street ( light signal there with pedestrian crossing sighnal too.

Then you are at the entrance main gates.

The U- 4 ( both stations require a fair walk- not great especially in poor weather or for disabled.

Shenandoah Valley...
Level Contributor
190 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Transportation to Schonbrunn?

Thanks so much for your responses! Two of us did take the U-Bahn to Westbahnhof and then tram 58 with no difficulty. Just waited our turn to cross the busy street! We also took the little zug up to the Gloriette for lunch, which was delightful. Then on the way back down we got off at stop 9, which was not too far to the U-Bahn. The younger and more supple of us enjoyed walking both up to the Gloriette and then back down again. Ah, to be young again! At least my bad knee stayed in place and gave me no problem.

Thanks so much for your help!

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
15,895 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Transportation to Schonbrunn?

Glad you enjoyed your visit. Have you not been before?

Shenandoah Valley...
Level Contributor
190 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Transportation to Schonbrunn?

Oh, yes, we have been to Schonbrunn before. In fact, we attended the formal Marine Ball at Schonbrunn some 40 years ago. Waltzes all night long! This was the first time we had been to the Gloriette, however. Our youngest and his bride are here with us this trip as a wedding present. :-) And this was their first trip to Schonbrunn, where they took the long tour.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
15,895 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Transportation to Schonbrunn?

Hope they enjoyed it!

Shenandoah Valley...
Level Contributor
190 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Transportation to Schonbrunn?

They are enjoying Vienna immensely! We ate at Zum Renner in the garden and a couple of days later at a heuriger in Nussdorf, both glorious days weather-wise. Off to the Volksoper tonight. And off to see a friend of ours in Huttledorf on Thurs, a violinist who comes for our summer music festival in VA. A friend of theirs from Linz came on Sunday to show them around places gotten to best by car. Despite speaking no German they are becoming old hands at getting around via public transportation. Two more friends are coming to join us over the holiday, one from Munich and another from Switzerland. My daughter in law works on exchanges of young professionals. Apartment great and lots of fun here for all!

10. Re: Best Transportation to Schonbrunn?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2015, 05:16