We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Query

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
493 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Train Query

Hi everyone,

I have booked a train ticket from Innsbruck to Vienna for the 22nd of September.

I read on the OEBB website that "RJ 161 Caution, strong travel day! - Space reservation is recommended! (Zurich HB - Wien Westbahnhof) Attention, very strong booked train! Please reserve a seat or select if possible a different train."

Do I have to make a reservation over and above purchasing the ticket as I cannot see any seat number on my ticket printout.

Thanks & Regards, Rishi

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Query

If you did not select reservation when you purchased the ticket there will be no seat numbers. What they are warning you is they expect the train to be busy and they recommend you reserve seats. Did you book first or second class?

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
493 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Query

I booked second class. Can I now reserve seats?

Regards, Rishi

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
493 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Query

Hello,

I just went back to the OEBB website and looked at the reservation process. I don't know how I could have missed that part and even the multiple forum posts that I read never mentioned reserving a seat. So what options do I have now? I have booked the discounted tickets which are non-refundable. Can I book the seats now? Will we get place on the train if we can't do the seat bookings?

Thanks & Regards, Rishi

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
14,089 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Query

You will get on the train (you have a ticket) but you may not get a seat.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
20,897 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Query

It is also possible to carry out a seat reservation on the website of ÖBB.

sfc
Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
617 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train Query

I am also concerned because I made a train reservation with OEBB for Salzburg to Vienna in 2nd Class, but was not given the option for a seat assignment, at least I didn't see one. We have printed our tickets and cannot change them. Where do we sit on the train if we don't have seat assignments and how do we know which seats are assigned and not?

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train Query

"I am also concerned because I made a train reservation with OEBB for Salzburg to Vienna in 2nd Class, but was not given the option for a seat assignment, at least I didn't see one."

If you had ticked "Book reservation for train" €3 and optionally ticked "Select seat graphically for Saloon carriage 2nd class" you would have picked your seats. Which will show on your ticket. If you did not tick then you have no reservation

Have you checked exactly what is on your ticket? It will tell you if you have reserved seats and the numbers.

If you have no reservation sit anywhere in 2nd class but check the displays above the seats to see if reserved.

Edited: 28 June 2014, 15:44
sfc
Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
617 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train Query

Thank you, Staff_Austria. I definitely don't see reserved seats on my ticket. I must have "ticked" the wrong box to continue with my reservation to purchase the tickets. Good to know, though, that there is a display showing reserved seats.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train Query

Salzburg to Vienna is a busy route.

If you want to be sure you get the seat you want, you can go and buy a reservation only.

Go back to the on line booking system and make sure it stays in English. You can click at the top if it changes to German. (It has a habit of flipping back to German)

Ensure you enter the correct travel date.

This the fun bit

Click on "more" on the right side next to where you add passengers.

You should see a "reservation only option" click on that and a number of passengers box pops up and the travel class 1st or 2nd. Select correct class and numbers of reservations.

Click calculate fare then ensure you select the train you previously booked. You will then see the reservation section open up at the bottom of the screen. Pick seats and check out. :-)

Edited: 28 June 2014, 16:41
Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
493 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train Query

Hey,

I have been trying to figure out that since Mikey mentioned one could just reserve a seat without booking a ticket again.

Thanks Staff_Austria for the detailed reply. Will try it out tonight and let you know how it goes.

Regards, Rishi