We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget for food per person per day

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Topic
Budget for food per person per day

Hi,

I will be visiting Vienna for 5 days this month during which I will be staying at Das Triest Hotel. I will really appreciate any feedback/ advices on the amount I should be expecting to spend on food (1 lunch, 1 dinner) per day for one person near my boarding area.

I do not consume alcohol and is much more interested in saving money to visit various sites than partaking of fancy meals. Naturally, I do not mind cheaper food options (even fast-food chains like KFC or McD every now and then) as long as they are not dodgy.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
21,589 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget for food per person per day

you will find that food in austria is not too expensive. to give you an example, based on my own experiences, you could get a wholesome salad with turkey or chicken breast, for around 9-10 €. and you could get a hefty wienerschnitzel with either fries or parsley potatoes, fo around the same. i usually look for these on a menu, and as long as i see them appearing around these prices or less, i know that i wont be overcharged. oddly though, a coffee and cake could be nearly as expensive! and just ask to tap water, if you dont want to buy a drink.

on a day to day costing, it is difficult to suggest an amount, but if you are on your own and know that you want to economise, then 25-30 per day would be plenty. just do not starve yourself.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
16,149 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget for food per person per day

During the week most Austrians eat their main meal at lunchtime. There's a lot of competition for their euros and most places do a two course lunch with a couple of choices for between €6 and €10. You'll find somewhere on nearly every corner and selling nearly every cuisine doing this.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget for food per person per day

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

Wien, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
3,921 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget for food per person per day

next to your hotel you have a great restaurant Südländer which offers also lunch menue

http://www.suedlaender.com/

Also you have a bakery ANKER and the supermarket BILLA within 5 Minutes of your hotel

Of course the Naschmarkt is not far away .

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
16,149 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget for food per person per day

Never been to that place HuSanNiang, but the lunchtime menu looks great. If I'm ever in the area when I'm hungry........

Wien, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
3,921 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budget for food per person per day

@Norman you have the Bistro at Rilkeplatz and the restaurant on Wiedner Hauptstrasse

You should try it

@Shuvo - you have many bars and restaurants in Schleifmühlgasse - 3-4 Minutes away from the hotel

and another good restaurant which also offers lunch menue is

Wiener Wiaz Haus

Gusshausstrasse 64

1040 Wien

http://www.wiener-wiazhaus.at/

PS please skip the American fast food option .

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Budget for food per person per day

Thanks a lot HuSanNiang, suddenly I'm spoilt for choice!

Wien, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
3,921 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budget for food per person per day

your hotel is quite good located for many food option

1st, 4th - 07th district are in walkind distance and since this is also an aera for students you will find cheaper options there.

Enjoy your stay in Vienna

9. Re: Budget for food per person per day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2015, 06:16