We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vienna only or Prague and Vienna

Hudson, Ohio
Level Contributor
120 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Vienna only or Prague and Vienna

My husband and I have a 14 night trip planned in Aug/Sept flying into Frankfurt and departing from Vienna. We got a free flight with miles. Will not be spending any time in Frankfurt and will rent a car at the airport...and then may make the 5 hr drive to Prague immediately after international flight....yes, painful

2 possible itineraries

1). 3 nights Prague, 4 nights staying with my in-laws in southern Germany in St.Oswald, 4 nights in the Austrian Alps at a farm/b&b, 3 nights Vienna

2). Omit Prague. 5 nights southern Germany with in-laws, 5 nights at farm, 4 nights Vienna

I am torn. I would love to see Prague but feel it may be too rushed only having 2 full days there especially being jet lagged. If we omit Prague we will then have an extra day in Vienna. Thoughts?

Should we save Prague for another trip or do it now?

Mentioned in this post
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Germany
Germany
Europe
Hudson, Ohio
Level Contributor
120 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vienna only or Prague and Vienna

My father in-law thinks we should do Prague. My mother-in-law thinks we should skip it for now to allow for a more relaxing vacation. My husband thinks we should skip it .."too touristy" ...but my husband doesn't count ...lol....because if he had it his way he would be sitting on a rocky beach reading a book

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Vienna
Level Contributor
5,811 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vienna only or Prague and Vienna

Prague is a beautiful city but it sounds not nice to drive 5 hours on busy German motorways after a long flight. In the end your call I guess. Did you consider Salzburg on way to Vienna ?

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vienna only or Prague and Vienna

I love Prague

Would I visit in August/September no.

Would I take a car into Prague no.

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Hudson, Ohio
Level Contributor
120 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vienna only or Prague and Vienna

Unfortunately, we will have a long drive after the flight. If we skip Prague and go directly to the in-laws it is still a 4.5 hr drive to St. Oswald, Germany. We have been to Salzburg before and loved it, but want to go somewhere new. If we go to Prague, we would stay at Hilton Prague Old Town with points and would just have to leave the car in the parking garage for that part of the trip. We would then have the car the whole trip and turn it in upon arrival to Vienna.

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Germany
Germany
Europe
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,154 posts
844 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vienna only or Prague and Vienna

You can consider Nuremberg or Dresden. Bit closer than Prague.

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
6. Re: Vienna only or Prague and Vienna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2015, 05:16