We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melk,Hallstatt,Wien trip report with pictures - Many thanks!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
621 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Melk,Hallstatt,Wien trip report with pictures - Many thanks!

Hi TA members and travelers,

We’ve just got back from our trip to Vienna. We had absolutely fantastic 1 full day in Vienna, 1 in Melk & one in Hallstatt. It was not long enough but left us more desire to return to these beautiful places. I want to thank everyone who helped me out by answering my questions in the run up of this trip. Many thanks to Vertical, Norman_C, Staff-Austria, Mikey_Vienna and Cherries-Jubilee.

TA members are all volunteers, so post-trip feedback is the best way to pay folks back for any helpful advice I have received. Below is our brief summary trip report along with the link of pictures I took while visiting this wonderful region.

We have experience beautiful weather during our stay between June 12 – June 17. It was low 70’s, great for sightseeing.

After a long flight from Houston with connection at Istanbul, we finally arrived at our hotel Star Inn Schonbrunn where our family of 4 stayed for 4 nights. Nice, clean, new and excellent location (a review posted on hotel section). No jet lag, we had a good night sleep.

June 14 – we bought 24hr U-bahn ticket, visited Schonbrunn palace early in the morning. Due to limit time, we did not visit the palace, just exploring the garden. We spent almost 4 hrs leisurely enjoying the beautiful ground and view. After the garden, we headed to Stephansphatz for lunch, exploring Central Vienna until 4pm. Returned to our hotel for a short break (2hrs) and back to city center (Rathausphatz area) until wee hour.

June 15 – we reserved a car with Sixt which located across to Westbahnhof. We got our car in no time and headed to Melk. Originally our plan was to use public transportation for this day trip because we were apprehensive about driving. Turned out to be the best decision to hire the car, it gave us the great deal of flexibility. We had plenty of time enjoying this wonderful region. We arrived Melk Abbey at 10ish am, still plenty of parking right outside. We loved everything about this area: the ticket price worth every minute, the view from the Abbey garden was breathtaking and the lunch was wonderful. We left Melk around 4pm and headed to Durnstein along the Danube river. We enjoyed few hours of this lovely quaint town. We returned to our hotel around 9pm. The hotel garage parking was right in the sample building. We had another good night sleep and dreamed of our next day adventure to the beautiful lake district of Hallstatt.

June 16 – We left the hotel around 6:30am, the GPS directed us a different route vs. A1. The unexpected route was full of both adventurous and pleasant surprises. We had another wonderfully day and made it back to Vienna for the last admission to Mozart museum and afterward a dinner at Café Central. Word cannot describe the beauty of this area. We will return in near future with an overnight stay.

June 17 – We had a private transfer to Prague. We left this wonderful area at 9am and promised to return.

Thanks and enjoy the slide!

…tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-0822-134e-dea9

Albi

Mentioned in this post
Hallstatt
Hallstatt
Upper Austria, Austria
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melk,Hallstatt,Wien trip report with pictures - Many thanks!

Thanks for the feedback glad to help.

Will try your trip wow again later. Does not seem to be working at the moment.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
24,840 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melk,Hallstatt,Wien trip report with pictures - Many thanks!

Thanks for coming back and reporting your experiences! Unfortunately your slide show does not work.....

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
621 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melk,Hallstatt,Wien trip report with pictures - Many thanks!

I just watch it now by click on the link. However, I cannot watch it on my Iphone, it requires Flash player and my friends also cannot watch it either ipad or iphone but Ok with desktop and laptop. Sorry, I don't know how to fix this.

Albi

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,772 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melk,Hallstatt,Wien trip report with pictures - Many thanks!

So nice when someone takes the time to say how wonderful their trip was.Glad you enjoyed it. Unfortunately i clicked on the link but all the photos come up as unavailable.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
621 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Melk,Hallstatt,Wien trip report with pictures - Many thanks!

Let me try to copy the link again

…tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-0822-134e-dea9…

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
16,867 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Melk,Hallstatt,Wien trip report with pictures - Many thanks!

Thanks for the review Albi - glad to have been of help although you didn't actually ask that many questions. But the slideshow still isn't working - and my Flash player only upgraded this morning!

Edited: 13 July 2014, 23:56
Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Melk,Hallstatt,Wien trip report with pictures - Many thanks!

Thanks for posting Albi, but I'm having the same problems on my PC. Photos unavailable.

On the upside I've been around Trip Advisor for a while now, and never knew the tripwow facility was there. So might have a go of doing something similar myself....

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
621 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Melk,Hallstatt,Wien trip report with pictures - Many thanks!

It is strange, I have 9 views posted on the link and this is the only board I copy the link. I am trying to copy the link a again with different computer. I had problem with my other computer to go directly to Vienna forum when I posted the link. Too bad if you cannot see it, because I selected the beautiful Blue Danube Waltz and Vienna Waltz and my favorite The last waltz to go with the picture.

…tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-0822-134e-dea9…

Wien, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Melk,Hallstatt,Wien trip report with pictures - Many thanks!

I can see the show itself but it says picture unvailable.

As long as you had a great trip and come back that is the most important thing

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Melk,Hallstatt,Wien trip report with pictures - Many thanks!

It's not you. I looked at one of my trip wows and it has the same issue.