We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Austrian Alps/Vienna and time for Budapest?

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
Austrian Alps/Vienna and time for Budapest?

My husband and I will be traveling through the Bavarian and Austrian Alps in mid-September. We are finished the trip with four nights and 3 days in Vienna. Is it worth splitting up Vienna to go to Budapest? Two nights in each, but only 1.5 days each (days shorter due to travel) and flying out of Budapest.

Vienna
Level Contributor
4,947 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Austrian Alps/Vienna and time for Budapest?

1.5 days in Vienna allows to see not a lot and is a rush. Depends on your style of holiday and your interests. For me less is more instead of rushing through cities.

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Austrian Alps/Vienna and time for Budapest?

Take time to smell the roses, as the expression goes.

Vienna deserves and needs as much time as possible. Skip Budapest, this trip.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
15,666 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Austrian Alps/Vienna and time for Budapest?

Fully agree with Salzburger67 and Castleblanca. Both Vienna and Budapest are major cities that demand a reasonable time even to scratch the surface. We get people on long layovers at Vienna airport who get nearly as much time in Vienna as you are proposing! Pick one or other city (of course I favour Vienna) and devote the full four nights to it.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Austrian Alps/Vienna and time for Budapest?

If that''s all the time you've got, pick just one. And Vienna being closer and less travel time would get my vote. While Budapst was a surprise packet that we absolutely loved, splitting your time like this won't do either city justice.

Edited: 16 July 2014, 09:01
Thessaloniki, Greece
Destination Expert
for Thessaloniki
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Austrian Alps/Vienna and time for Budapest?

Definately stay in Vienna..and be sure you're visiting Budapest in the future!

Grigoris

6. Re: Austrian Alps/Vienna and time for Budapest?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2015, 06:15