We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 hour layover at Vienna's Airport

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
393 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
6 hour layover at Vienna's Airport

Hello everyone, I know I would probably find tons of useful stuff searching through the forum but unfortunately this is a last minute trip that just came up so I thought it would be easier to ask you guys.

I'm going to have a 6 hour layover in Vienna (SFO-FRA-VIE-IKA carrying a US passport, the luggages going straight to IKA). from what it seems, 6 hour would be enough time to get to the city centre in order to spend couple hours cruising the beautiful streets of Vienna,

I would really appreciate it if someone be kind enough to guide me through this, what is the most efficient way to get to the city centre form the airport? (I'm also on budget so the cheaper the better as long as not wasting too much time)

how much time am I going to have in order to spend in the city? I'm guessing 4 hours roughly? (landing in Vienna 14:10, departure 20:10)

with that much time in hand, I would love to read your suggestions about the places I can visit (I don't mind cramming as many places as possible to visit, it's not my first time doing so on a long haul flight)

thanks in advance for your suggestions and tips

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
16 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 hour layover at Vienna's Airport

From the airport there are two methods of transportation into the city: the City Airport Train (€22 RT, 16 minutes each way) and the S-Bahn (€8 RT, 30 minutes each way). They each run approximately every 30 minutes, so you'll have to factor that into your plans.

Also consider the day you are arriving. Stores are closed on Sundays; and many museums are closed on Mondays. What to see really depends on your interests; in a couple of hours you could wander the InnerStadt or take in a museum and perhaps a light meal.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
15,321 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 hour layover at Vienna's Airport

See this thread . Modesty prevents me from directing you to answer #2!

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g190454-i147-k71…

Vienna
Level Contributor
4,804 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 hour layover at Vienna's Airport

Take the train to center and walk around and have a nice coffee. This is better than sitting at the airport - there will be no passport control as you come from Frankfurt.

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
393 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 hour layover at Vienna's Airport

Thank you so much, that sounds like a perfect itinerary, I will give it a try for sure. is there any other popular attraction in Vienna that I can also fit into this itinerary in case I end up having more time?

anyway thank you so much, this was exactly what I've been looking for,.

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
393 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 hour layover at Vienna's Airport

TAMember22, Thank you for the input. fortunately I will be in Vienna on a Tuesday so I think I don't need to be worry about the stores being closed

Salzburger67, will do. I hate sitting in the airports for anything more than 3 hours if I can get to explore a beautiful city for the first time

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
393 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 hour layover at Vienna's Airport

just wanted to thank you all, I've had a great time in Vienna. my flight actually got cancelled (had a horrible experience with Austrian Airlines) so I had the chance to spend an extra day in town.

as far as the original 6hour itinerary. I made a couple mistakes which made it hard for me to make it time wise. the major mistake was I took the wrong tram1 at first resulting in losing almost 45mins. you have to take the tram going to the left when you are facing the opera house.

It might be a personal preference but make sure you at least leave 1.5 hour for the Schönbrunn (the more the better)

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
15,321 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 6 hour layover at Vienna's Airport

Oops! Yes, you need tram 1 going clockwise. Glad you enjoyed Vienna if not Austrian Airlines.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 6 hour layover at Vienna's Airport

Thanks for posting this... I have a 4 hour layover (a little less then 4) coming up on the 18th en route to Belgrade and I'm on the fence about leaving the airport. I've never been to Vienna and would love to see a little bit of it if possible. When I read that you had issues with Austrian Airlines, I'm now thinking maybe I shouldn't because this will be my first time flying them as well. Did they cancel your flight for no reason? How was the airline otherwise, once you did fly them?

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
15,321 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 6 hour layover at Vienna's Airport

Personally I think four hours would be too tight for a worthwhile trip into town.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: 6 hour layover at Vienna's Airport

Thanks so much for your response... I was thinking that as well. I appreciate your confirmation and will have to make a trip back to Vienna one day. I'm hoping my experience with Austrian Airlines will be okay! :-)