We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vienna to Innsbruck by Train or Plane?

Tirana, Albania
Level Contributor
175 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Vienna to Innsbruck by Train or Plane?

We will be arriving at Vienna airport early in the morning. I wanted to know if by train or flying is the most economical way to get to Innsbruck. The trip would be scheduled months in advance, either in September/October/November. We will only be staying for one or two nights in Innsbruck and then come back.

Are there any low cost airlines that do this route? Is there any ticket or card I can buy to get a discount?

Is there a train station in Vienna airport and, if not, how far is the closest and how to get there?

Thank you for any info.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,982 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vienna to Innsbruck by Train or Plane?

Hi there,

No budget airlines, solely Austrian and lowest prices I see months ahead are above 125 eur return. Lowest train fares are 45 euro return (IC 'Saver' fares, not standard fares and not Railjet lux train). As the train take 5 hours one way, partly a very beautiful scenery too, I'd go for train. Airport has a train connection to city centre but the long-distance trains leave from West station/bahnhof, hence going there by S-bahn/U-bahn or airport bus is probably more efficient than the CAT airport train.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
15,536 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vienna to Innsbruck by Train or Plane?

Most convenient way to get to the Westbahnhof from the airport is by the direct airport bus which costs €8 and runs every half hour. Most people travel to Innsbruck by train, but flying is obviously an option.

Tirana, Albania
Level Contributor
175 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vienna to Innsbruck by Train or Plane?

Thanks a lot Erik, Sandya & Norman C. Where do you go to see the lowest fare for the train? Do you just enter the stations' names and then look for the best price ticket or do you go someplace else at www.oebb.at and look for SparSchiene tickets? What are Einfach Raus tickets and how does it work with them since we are two people? Which website is best to use for airfare for Vienna-Innsbruck flights?

Thanks again.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,982 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vienna to Innsbruck by Train or Plane?

Hi again,

1] Simply use www.oebb.at, do it 3 months before travel date as then generally seat sale starts.

2] They're great but not allowed for long-distance express trains, solely for regional trains. Hence the trip would be 7+ hours one way instead of 5 hours...

3] Skyscanner.net is our favourite, but it found solely Austrian offering the route as direct flights.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Tirana, Albania
Level Contributor
175 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vienna to Innsbruck by Train or Plane?

Thank you <Erik> & [Sandya]

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vienna to Innsbruck by Train or Plane?

1] Discounted tickets available online 90 odd days in advance. You have to catch the train on the ticket.

Just search for date and time you want to travel. You are looking for a direct Railjet or IC with a ticket type of "SparSchiene Österreich" You can click on a specific train cost and it will show all the price options. A standard ticket cost one way is €66.10. The SparSchiene Österreich will be much cheaper.

https://ticketing.oebb.at/inet/pub/en/ticket

2] ERT valid on Regional(R) and Regional Express(REX) trains only.

Too slow for your trip.

3] http://www.skyscanner.net/

"Staff"

Edited: 25 July 2014, 11:07
Tirana, Albania
Level Contributor
175 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vienna to Innsbruck by Train or Plane?

Thanks Staff. How far minimum in advance do I still have a good chance to get such tickets for this route?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,982 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vienna to Innsbruck by Train or Plane?

Our experience generally with SBB/ÖBB/DB is 10 weeks, the good seats really sell out quickly!

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vienna to Innsbruck by Train or Plane?

That's a very difficult question to answer.

The tickets are limited in number for each train. Some trains are more popular then others (day of week, time of day). Also certain months of the year they will sell faster. If you are traveling on a public holiday book as soon as they are released.

September is going to be less busy than July/August. October less than September. November very quiet as it's in between seasons.

I would buy from between 60 - 90 days in advance if you want to get the train you want.

@Staff@

Edited: 25 July 2014, 11:29
Tirana, Albania
Level Contributor
175 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vienna to Innsbruck by Train or Plane?

We have a choice to go in September, October or November so, we'll combine that with the best plane ticket as well. It seems I can buy the train ticket online all the way from the airport rather than Westbahnhof. Very useful tips guys, looking forward to a great scenery viewing trip!