We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best "side trip" for a Vienna-centric vacation?

Level Contributor
203 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Best "side trip" for a Vienna-centric vacation?

Hello all,

I will be traveling to Vienna in early October. We plan to stay in Vienna for the first 5 nights but will have 3 additional nights to go somewhere before returning to Vienna the night before we fly home. Can anyone suggest the best "add on" destination(s)" which would be in reasonable proximity to Vienna? Since our 5 days in Vienna will be more urban, I am thinking about smaller cities or rural areas. Right now, I am leaning toward traveling toward Salzburg and perhaps staying there or going to Halstatt for a night or two. But we have also considered going to Budapest or Prague, but I think going to an additional city might be sort of "more of the same" after being in Vienna for 5 days. We are especially interested in scenery and enjoy good food. Since we will be there in early October, I am hoping we can see some good fall foliage. We will very likely be traveling by train as that is something we don't get the chance to do at home, but it's possible we could rent a car. Can anyone suggest some good 2-3 day destinations accessible from Vienna?

Vienna
Level Contributor
5,369 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best "side trip" for a Vienna-centric vacation?

I would go to Wachau - Budapest and Prague are big cities:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g190417-…

Another lovely trip is Rust next to Neusiedlersee, which is a big lake and wine area.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
23,538 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best "side trip" for a Vienna-centric vacation?

I would definitely do the Salzburg + Salzkammergut Lake District combo!

Level Contributor
203 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best "side trip" for a Vienna-centric vacation?

Thank you for the recommendations. I like that these are both so close to Vienna that it looks like they could be done as day trips. Wachau looks particularly scenic.

Level Contributor
203 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best "side trip" for a Vienna-centric vacation?

Mikey, thank you... if we do the Salzburg + Salzkammergut Lake District combo, would you recommend staying in a small town like Halstatt or would you stay in Salzburg... or maybe do night or two in each? I am strongly considering Halstatt for at least one night but am open to other towns. I am hoping it will be calm without a lot of tourists... that's one reason why we like to travel in October.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
580 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best "side trip" for a Vienna-centric vacation?

We just returned from Vienna. We made daytrip to Melk (Wachau region) and Hallstatt , loved it. We rented a car and it gave us a great deal of flexibility. If you are interested in scenery, these destinations have a lot to offer.

Safe travels,

Albi

Level Contributor
203 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best "side trip" for a Vienna-centric vacation?

Thanks I think Hallstatt is where we will go, and possibly to Melk also. Would you consider Hallstatt a "can't miss" destination if in Austria? We may do a night in Salzburg as well. I realize a car might give us a lot of flexibility but I love the experience of taking a train in Europe... lord knows we spend enough time driving in this town :)

7. Re: Best "side trip" for a Vienna-centric vacation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2015, 05:16