We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vienna to Munich any info will help!

Weston, Florida
5 posts
Save Topic
Vienna to Munich any info will help!

Traveling to Vienna from October 17-October 23. We were thinking of visiting Munich for two of those days (Maybe October 20-22) . Is this realistic or is Munich too far? We are also open to other city suggestions. We are there for a weekend conference and decided to make a trip out of it. We are both in our 30's love the outdoors, restaurants, nightlife. Pretty much anything . Any suggestions on attractions or "must see places" in Vienna, Munich or any other City in the area will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,334 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vienna to Munich any info will help!

For trains from Vienna to Munich use www.oebb.at/en from €29 oebb.at/en/…index.jsp

or from €19 with Westbahn/Westbus westbus.at/sites/…wien_muenchen.pdf

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,500 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vienna to Munich any info will help!

Just for info:

The Salzburg - Munich part is actually operated by Flixbus!

Weston, Florida
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Vienna to Munich any info will help!

Thanks for taking the time to provide the websites. will continue researching!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
118 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vienna to Munich any info will help!

Hi OliD902

Well it's four hours each way from Vienna to Munich by train, and when you add the time to get to and from the stations at each end you'll be spending a total of around eight hours to get to Munich. Yes, it's a great city, so go if you must.

But you will find Vienna has lots of things to see and do in all three of your categories, so even though I love travel (as an Aussie you have to love travel!) I'd suggest you stay in and around Vienna for the period. I love the music, theatre and museums in the city, e.g. see several shows at the Volksoper, or perhaps Mamma Mia or Mary Poppins in German? Both seem to be playing in October.

And if you really want to see something different, I've enjoyed both Melk (small) and Linz (city) on a full day trip from Vienna.

FYI hiking trails in Vienna:

wien.info/en/…hiking-in-around

Bon voyage!

Weston, Florida
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Vienna to Munich any info will help!

Thank you so much nawlinsgk! Your post helped a lot. I will look into Melk and Linz. Eight hours sounds like a lot of time that could be spent enjoying other areas of Vienna.

6. Re: Vienna to Munich any info will help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2015, 05:16