We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go from Vienna?

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
328 posts
194 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go from Vienna?

We reserved our trip with Vienna as our destination for Christmas vacation. While we love Vienna, it does not make sense to go back so soon 12 months after. We will love to ad another culture or city.

We will love your recommendation to go someplace from Vienna. We have been around these cities near Vienna so far: Budapest,Prague, Munich, Salzburg, Bonn, Krakov, Bratislava and Istanbul.

Where else can we go?

Thanks in advance

Thanks

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
15,509 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go from Vienna?

Not sure I understand your question. You want to travel somewhere from Vienna? Why go back to Vienna at all if you were there 12 months ago. If you go to Vienna just to go on to some other city you're really limiting your choice.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
328 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go from Vienna?

Hello Norman

Thanks for your response. It is an award ticket arriving in Berlin and continuing to Vienna, which was not originally intended but took it with the hope to change later. It is challenging to change now but I am hoping that we can find a new/unknown place to go from Berlin or from Vienna.

Thank you

Vienna
Level Contributor
4,864 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go from Vienna?

Go to Graz, Lubljana, Venice and Innsbruck and then back.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
328 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go from Vienna?

HiSalzburger67

Thank you for your reply. Is Innsbruck doable along with Graz and Lubljana? How many days, at the minimum you think I will need for these cities in total?

Thanks in advance

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,718 posts
5,780 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go from Vienna?

How much time to you have. If you've another 3-4 days at least, I would definitely look at what Prague and Budapest have to offer. These are great central European cities to visit and not terribly far from Vienna.

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go from Vienna?

BradJill: The OP wrote that he has already visited both Prague and Budapest.

CitizenoftheAir: It sounds as if you will depart by air from Berlin. Correct? Your post is not clear. If that is the case, check out Brno and then Dresden. This keeps you on a more or less direct route from Vienna to Berlin. Also, you don't say if you have ever visited Berlin. If not, then Berlin and Potsdam are well worthwhile.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,718 posts
5,780 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go from Vienna?

>>>BradJill: The OP wrote that he has already visited both Prague and Budapest.<<<

I would still suggest going back to Prague or Budapest. These cities, like Vienna, are worth visiting a 2nd and 3rd time to explore the areas and attractions that were missed during previous trips.

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to go from Vienna?

BradJill: The OP wrote "Where else can we go?"

Therefore, the suggestion was made.

As for re-visiting Prague and Vienna a 2nd or 3rd time, I fully agree. They deserve more than one visit. For instance, I have been to Prague almost 150 times, and I will be back in a couple weeks and again in late January. I have been to Vienna over 100 times, and I also studied (post-graduate studies) and lived there, yet I'm returning for a visit before the end of the year and again in early February.

The thing is that most people don't have the freedom (time and money) to travel as much as I do, and the OP wants to visit and get to know a new destination or two. Then, later on, he or she can decide which destinations beckon for a second or third, etc. visit.

Again, he/she wrote, "Where else can we go?"

Edited: 30 August 2014, 18:38
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,718 posts
5,780 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to go from Vienna?

Hiya Casablanca,

I respect your opinion against a return to Prague or Budapest for the reasons you have mentioned.

My view is simply different as we have incomplete information regarding the OP's previous visits to these cities. As far as we know, these might have been day trips during the middle of August in the early 1970s, not extended visits during the winter holiday period.

As such, without knowing any specifics regarding their previous trips, I don't believe they should rule out a return to Prague or Budapest, especially if they have not previously been during the holiday season period.

Edited: 30 August 2014, 21:36
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,450 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to go from Vienna?

Brno is the obvious place - it is a fabulous city just to the north of Vienna, of which it is a smaller, prettier (and much cheaper) version tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g274714-i1153-k6…

Like Linz (also worth a look), it is caught in the middle of two tourist traps so most people just whiz through without taking a second look. For those that stop, though, they find a place that they will want to go back to year after year. You need a minimum of five days.