We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel doors

Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,039 posts
199 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel doors

We've recently stayed at 4 hotels in various areas of Norway and in 3 of them the doors to our room opened outwards.

It's not something I've come across before and I wondered what the reasoning behind it was. I suppose it may save some space but on a couple of occasions we nearly knocked people over coming out of our room!!

Oslo
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel doors

It is easier to push the door outwards if there is a fire rather than stand behind it and pull it towards you, then you must back up into the room again

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,142 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel doors

Hi

When I think about the doors that I have used today here in Stavanger I think they have all opened outwards. Is this something that is special for Norway?

Regards

Gard

gardkarlsen@hotmail.com

Hønefoss Norway
Level Contributor
943 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel doors

FFF is right, there are regulations on this. In public buildings doors must open outwards in case of fire.

Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,039 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel doors

Thanks Risol

I've never come across it before anywhere in the world. Perhaps Norway suffered a bad fire and this leglisation was a result of it?

Sweden
Level Contributor
63 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel doors

It's the same in Sweden, most doors open outwards. You notice it most when walking along a corridor, you gotta have your eyes pealed!

//Sue

6. Re: Hotel doors

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 15:20