We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving holiday - help??

UK
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Driving holiday - help??

Hi all,

We are planning a driving holiday in Norway, and really not sure where to start! Factoring in about 4-5 days, we're not sure where to fly in from (there's currently cheap deals flying into Bergen and Aalesund) and where to head. We tend to do a lot of driving holidays, so are used to and like doing a lot of it (recently went to Scotland and drove almost 1000 miles in 4 days - as an aside, the very north/west coast is one of the most stunning areas I've ever been). Does anyone have any recommendations/ideas where to start?

Any tips/help greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Beth

Hønefoss Norway
Level Contributor
944 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving holiday - help??

not much sightseeing with 400kms a day, do not know scotland coastline but roads here are not quite the standard you're used to from britain. Asphalt, yes, but winding and a little hilly. Main roads speed limit 80km, many have 60, if you make 70 km net in an hour you're doing good. suggest driving to Bergen/Stavanger if you fly into northwest. Remember we have fjords, with ferries, with waiting hours in the tourist season. and oneway rental is expensive. fuel price as of now 12-13 NOK/litre. I wish you'd cool it some, stop more often -

Bradford, Yorkshire
Level Contributor
575 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving holiday - help??

You obviously like touring, as do I. You've no suggestions yet so here goes.

A variety of scenery and experiences between Bergen and Alesund, so you can use either arrival point. I will work from Bergen but you can amend for Alesund.

From Bergen drive to Voss and continue to Stalheim. 140km direct, or recommend 190km route via north Hardanger Fjord. Depends on your flight arrival time.

Stay overnight at Stalheim Hotel, perched on a saddle of land between two valleys , very peaceful when the tourist busses have gone. Great views, and you may see the morning mist falling from the east valley into the western one.

www.dehistoriske.com/hotel/stalheim-hotel/

Today you will get all the driving you want, 350km. Continue from Stalheim down the multi hairpin road and head to the Laerdalstunnelen (worlds longest road tunnel). The 24.5km tunnel between Aurland, and Laerdal, then cross Sognefjord to Sogndal. Turn right along Lusterfjord towards Lom. Some hairpin bends climb you up onto the Troll Fell, a very high remote rock strewn area.

At Lom turn left, drive through the wild moorland, and descend in a tunnel to more fertile land and on to Stryn. Stay 2 nights.

Today drive to Olden and turn left along the side valley with lakes, past the Olden mineral water source to the parking at Birksdal, 50km. From here you can walk or hire one of the famous horse carriages for the winding route over the famous bridge through the waterfall spray up to the valley. It is then a walk to the glacier. Web link is just to give an idea by pics -

www.starthan.net/pictures/thumbnails.php…

Any time left to visit the small town of Geiranger to view what many say is one of the prettiest fjords, 70km northeast from Stryn?

Then return 300km to Bergen, fairly straight route for Norway, and spend a night in the old city. Plenty to do.

www.visithordaland.com/visartikkel.asp…

Fly home.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

The Tyke

UK
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving holiday - help??

Hi Tkye,

Thanks very much for that - it's given me some ideas to have a look at, and very much appreciated. We prefer not to be/stay in towns too much, as we love just driving through, seeing and experiencing scenery, so in such a beautiful country, it's hard to know where to start looking and planning a journey!

Thanks,

Beth

Halifax, England
Level Contributor
241 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving holiday - help??

Tyke, I wish I'd seen this post before I spent 6 hours today trying to work out a driving schedule for our forthcoming trip! All the more ironic that I only live 8 miles from you. Thanks anyway, I will be incorporating your plan into mine! Bound to be good if it's got a basis in Yorkshire!

Fjord Norway
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving holiday - help??

Great plan, however, if you are there in June, July and August, there is also a car ferry from Gudvangen to Kaupanger ( reservation recommended ) if you wanted to add the Naroyfjord to your driving trip.

www.fjord1.no/fylkesbaatane_en/default.asp…

6. Re: Driving holiday - help??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 20:18