We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memorable trip to Norway

Hermosa Beach, CA
Level Contributor
74 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Memorable trip to Norway

Hi Everyone! I'm looking for the perfect trip to Norway for my mother and I. We are of Norwegian descent but have never been there, so this will probably be our one and only trip to Norway and want to see the best of Norway in a week. We would like to rent a car, drive, and stay in B&Bs and Apartments. The car will probably be around $800 for a week, accommodations will be around $200/night (I'm guessing).

Any comments/recommendations as far as "OMG-don't drive! Take the train" or "Don't be silly! It's actually cheaper to take a cruise!" Or "Don't even think about driving from Oslo-Tromso-Bergen-Oslo in only one week!"

I will appreciate any advice. I want this once in a lifetime trip to be very memorable and informational, but I also don't want to sell my house to do it.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Memorable trip to Norway

What part of Norway did your ancestors come from and how important to you is it to explore that area?

Hermosa Beach, CA
Level Contributor
74 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Memorable trip to Norway

Hello! Thanks for writing back!

I have no idea where my ancestors were from (can't trace back farther than Minnesota and New York City in the mid 1800's. And their name was extremely common, "Christianson" and I'm sure they were farmers, since that is what they did when they came to the States.

We would like to see the highlights including Fjords and the beautiful countryside.

I think it would be cool to go to the spot where Norway, Finland, and Russia meet., but that could also be wasted hours of driving time and not worth it.

Do you recommend a cruise instead along the coast?

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,013 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Memorable trip to Norway

One question: What time of year are planning to come?

One recommendation: Spend more than one week, even if you don't go to the Russian border. :)

A cruise along the coast (Hurtigruten) takes one week only to go one way. Keep in mind that Norway is a very long country and that the rugged landscape makes traveling time consuming as well as a great experience.

If you only want to spend one week: One option is to drive around South Norway, maybe a big circle: Oslo, Bergen, the Fjords, Trondheim.

Another option is to start in Ålesund and drive all the way until Bodø.

Hermosa Beach, CA
Level Contributor
74 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Memorable trip to Norway

Hi! Thanks for responding!

We were planning to go in early July.

At first, I was planning to go on a cruise and stop in Oslo, but that is not enough time to get a feel for the country, especially important since Norway housed our ancestors. Will we get to meet any locals, or are they quiet and shy like in Iceland?

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
419 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Memorable trip to Norway

I have a very similar situation; I'm going to Norway on my own but my mother and I plan to go in the future. Our family immigrated to MN (they also have a common last name) and it appears that the best research we could come up with as to where they came from is an entire county, which is a large area. So it may be difficult trying to hunt down where one's ancestors came from.

Although the entire thing did inspire me to learn some Norwegian. Very useful living in the Southwest U.S.

Hermosa Beach, CA
Level Contributor
74 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Memorable trip to Norway

Hi!

It's such a giant, beautiful, and expensive country, but we really want to get a feel for it in 8 days. We're not planning to go until July 2010. So let's compare planning notes! The only Norwegian I remember from growing up is Oof-dah...

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,585 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Memorable trip to Norway

... which is similar to your "ugh".

:-)

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,013 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Memorable trip to Norway

The national archive has gone digital:

www.digitalarkivet.no/cgi-win/WebFront.exe…

There you can search through all kinds of registers, for instance if you know approx what year your ancestors arrived in America, you can search the "emigrant protocols" (or something like that). Try to play with the spelling, "Christianson" might be "Christiansen" (Norwegian standard spelling) or even "Kristiansen".

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,013 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Memorable trip to Norway

Norwegians are perhaps quiet, but in Norway it is also a virtue to keep the voice down and not make unnessecary noise (except of course, after a few beer). On the other hand: Norwegians are sincere and helpful if you make the first move :)

Hermosa Beach, CA
Level Contributor
74 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Memorable trip to Norway

Thanks OsloViking!

Yes, I saw "Babettes Feast" and have a friend who is scandinavian who told me of the reserved nature. She said that when she was Valedictorian of her class, she and her family didn't even attend the ceremony. She told me that it's not acceptable to tell any of your accomplishments, like ... "I got an A on an Math test", or "I just got a raise." She lives in Malibu now and has trouble fitting in with the crazy celebrity locals there.

My mother and I aren't loud either, but I would like to get a sense of the spirit of the locals.

Thanks for your advice. I'll go to that website to see if I can find any ancestors.

Or, I'll pick someone from the phone book and say, "Hey! We're your cousins from America! Can we take you out to dinner?!" And they'll say, "Oof Dah! Not another cousin from America!"