We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurtigruten trip - June

Durban
Level Contributor
232 posts
224 reviews
Save Topic
Hurtigruten trip - June

hi, I've booked to do this trip on the Polarlys in June, going from Alesund to Honnigsvag.

would like some idea of prices for food in the cafe - I haven't booked any meals, but I understand that the food and snacks available in the cafe are quite comprehensive.

I'd also like to know what the outside deck area is like on this ship. I'm a very keen photographer, and depending on the weather, would like to spend a good bit of time outside.

thanks

Andrew

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
822 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hurtigruten trip - June

Anfield33, I have just returned from a trip Bergrn to Kirkenes on the Finnmarken. I was booked half board (breakfast and dinner) and think it was better value than the cafe. An open sandwich with beef and salad was 95 Kn (£9.50 Uk money if that is any help), I don't know how much the main meals at dinner cost or what there was as I didn't need them. The coffee deal is good if you drink a lot of coffee - 210 Kn (£21) for an insulated mug which you can refill as often as you want.

There was lots of deck space on the Finnmarken and I would think the Polarlys would be similar. It was IMO the best holiday I have ever had and I spend almost all of my time on deck in all weathers (you are supplied with a rug in your cabin). There was a large panoramic lounge but I did't feel you could experience this wornderful journey looking through a window. There are lots of chairs on deck but make sure you find a sheltered spot as the wind on some parts of the deck could almost blow you over!

I hpe you have a lovely trip on the most beautiful voyage in the world.

Durban
Level Contributor
232 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hurtigruten trip - June

thanks for your comments - you must have had a great time.

I've travelled so much in the past, but this is one trip I'm really looking forward to, albeit short.

I'm glad to hear there's lots of deck space, and I'd definitely like to spend most of my time out there, especially travelling in summer - the pictures of the lounges look very comfortable, so I'm sure I could spend time there going through my photos, reading my travel guides etc.

is the rug that you mention you have in your cabin like a blanket that you could take outside with you if it gets cold?

clothing - I'm thinking about wearing jeans and a t-shirt when I'm inside, and thermal underwear, and then having a fleece jersey, and thick jacket with me.

would that be appropriate, or do people dress more formally?

thanks

Andrew

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
822 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hurtigruten trip - June

Yes, each cabin has a large, thick blanket for each person for use outside.

I found the lounge OK for a short period but you really don't get the feel for the region looking through glass. I would recommend that you bring binoculars as several of the villages along the coast are too far away to see with the naked eye.

I brought thermals with me and only used them once, however the weather was wonderful (saw the Northern Lights on 2 nights) but not nearly as cold as I expected and I was there in March. However, I live in Ireland not Durban so I am used to cold weather. The dress code is very informal and no one dresses for dinner. T shirt and trousers will be fine but do bring a windproof jacket as I suspect even in June the wind could be strong.

It really was a wonderful voyage and I am thinking about doing it again in May or June 2010.

Hope this helps but if you want to know anything else please ask.

Durban
Level Contributor
232 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hurtigruten trip - June

thanks Helers - very useful info.

despite the fact I often travel in winter, I still have very little in the way of warm clothes, but I think I'll take jeans and t-shirts, with jerseys (I think you call them jumpers), and I'll buy a proper fleece jersey too.

then I'll just borrow a thick jacket/coat from someone, and bring a scarf and beanie too - that should see me through!

I'm gonna try and take as much reading material with me as I can find, as I'm always interested in the background to the places I visit, or pass through; but I'd also welcome the opportunity to sit back and watch the world go by...with my camera permanently stuck in my hands!

I'd still like some more advice if possible on a few things:

- I won't be eating in the restaurant, so any idea at all on food prices? sandwiches, small meals, drinks etc. can I buy food on the stops and bring it onboard?

- any ideas on worthwhile souvenirs/gifts to buy - I also love buying golf shirts with logo's of the city/country I'm in.

- i disembark at Honnigsvag, after doing the tour to Nordkapp (despite what anyone says about it, I have to say I've been there!); I have 9 hours back in Honnigsvag before catching the overnight bus into Finland, and not sure what to do with my luggage, while I wander around the town - any thoughts?

thanks again

Andrew

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
822 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hurtigruten trip - June

Hi Andrew,

Not sure I will be much help but hear goes.

Food Prices: as I have said I only had an open sandwich and it was 950 kn. Food prices are high in Norway and I would seriously consider the restaurant as it was IMO better value.

Gifts: I bought an albino (very rare) Reindeer rug from the Sami people which cost 700kn and I thought it was good value. I also bought some pewter and nordic towels with lovely viking motifs.

I did not go to the North Cape but went instead to the most northernly fishing village. The lady who conducted this tour is trying to bring tourism into this area, if they don't suceed the village will disappear. She showed us how they dry the cod and we tasted some (lovely) and show the various fish tthey get in this area and where it is transported to. We then went to her Christmas house and had homemade cakes and biscuits and mulled wine. It was a lovely afternoon in an area that could soon disappear. It was arranged by the ship as an extra.

All bus stations have luggage storage in Norway but the ship will be able to advise you on this.

Helen

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
822 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hurtigruten trip - June

Sorry Andrew that should have been 95Kn not 950. Norway is expensive but not that expensive!!!!

7. Re: Hurtigruten trip - June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 19:21