We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family of 6 planning own excursions from Cruise Ship

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Family of 6 planning own excursions from Cruise Ship

Can anyone give us advise on planning our own excursion trips as we are going on our first Princess cruise 7-19th July and have noted that the excursions are not only very expensive (especially for a family of six!) but at this stage are pretty much booked up. What I really need to know is how can we get to places of interest by ourselves from the cruise ship/tender dock(our youngest is 5 years old). The places the cruise visits are - Stavanger, Hellesylt, Geiranger, Tronheim, Honningsvag, Tromso, Flaam and Bergen. I know this is very long winded and alot to ask but I would greatly appreciated any information that may help. Thanks.

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,706 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family of 6 planning own excursions from Cruise Ship

Honningsvåg is not much of a city, maybe stay near the ship.

Trondheim is a very nice city with a wonderful cathedral (St Olav's), centre is compact. You can walk from the ship to the centre (or take a taxi to save legs).

Tromsø is a less of a city than Trondheim and even more compact, take time to walk around the centre and possible to the top of the island. Maybe go for a panorama on the mainland:

http://www.fjellheisen.no/

Stavanger is a nice city, take time to stroll around the centre and between small wooden houses. The centre is virtually a copy of Bergen, except no mountains.

Hellesylt and Geiranger are neighbors. In Geiranger, go up at least one of the mountain roads (Eagle's or Geiranger road), from Geiranger road you can continue to the Mt Dalsnibba:

www.geirangerfjorden.net/800%20dalsnibba.jpg

geirangerfjorden.net/600%20ornesvingen.jpg

If excurisons in Geiranger are fully booked, take a taxi or small bus to Ørnesvingen (Eagle's road) or a bit longer to Dalsnibba.

In Flaam you can take the train to Myrdal and back.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family of 6 planning own excursions from Cruise Ship

Thank you Osloviking. You are a star!! A very informative one. Thankyou for taking the time to reply.

Larvik, Norway
Level Contributor
398 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family of 6 planning own excursions from Cruise Ship

Since you do have kids, maybe Polaria in Tromsø will be of interest http://www.polaria.no/en/. You can walk from the ship.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family of 6 planning own excursions from Cruise Ship

Thank you for your reply FunItaly. That sounds like a great idea.

Larvik, Norway
Level Contributor
398 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family of 6 planning own excursions from Cruise Ship

There is also an aquarium in Bergen http://akvariet.no/index.php. Only Norwegian text. It is about 15min to walk from the city center, you can take bus.

I would prefer polaria, Tromsø, if I should choose one of these.

ohio
Level Contributor
143 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Family of 6 planning own excursions from Cruise Ship

Izzy - I will be on the same cruise! I completely agree about the price of the ship sponsored excursions. I have been able to get a lot of info about do-it-yourself tours, from the cruise critic website. If you log onto that and log in- go to the princess roll callls and then click on the cruise/date and you will see all the conversations similar to this. Good luck! Ellen

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family of 6 planning own excursions from Cruise Ship

Ellen - Thanks a million for your reply I will check it out now. Hope you enjoy your vacation!!!!

8. Re: Family of 6 planning own excursions from Cruise Ship

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2009, 05:23