We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Preparing for Norway trip

New York
Level Contributor
150 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Preparing for Norway trip

I'll be visiting Norway for the first time next week. I will be in Oslo for 1 day and then the rest I'll be in a camper visiting the fjords and going all the way up to North Cape. I've never been to Norway and I want to travel light. What do you recommend that I bring for clothes? And anything I need to know before I leave?

Mentioned in this post
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,665 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Preparing for Norway trip

For how long will you be visiting ? Does "next week" mean that it is only for one week ?

If so, you will not be able to do what you have planned. Driving time from Oslo to the west coast is appr. 8 hrs., for driving from the west coast to North Cape you will need appr. 3 days for one way....

Mentioned in this post
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
New York
Level Contributor
150 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Preparing for Norway trip

Sorry, I will be in on the 25th and staying in Oslo for 1 day and then spending 7 days traveling in a camper with friends. I'm not very "outdoorsy" so I'm trying to figure out what is a good mix of being comfortable, looking good, and small/light enough to fit into a carry-on size bag.

Mentioned in this post
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,665 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Preparing for Norway trip

The reason for asking the length of the stay is to know how likely it is that you will go all the places mentioned. Norway is a very long country (turn it around from Oslo and you will be in Rome, Italy), and climate varies accordingly. The northern part of Norway faces the Arctic Sea (including North Cape), yet the temperatures can be enjoyable because of the Gulf Stream.

It is, however, not likely that you will make it to the northern part of Norway by driving in such a short spell of time (you would have to rely on flights, and even then the time factor is short). I suggest that you look up the weather forecasts on this site before leaving for Oslo, and keep an eye for the Bergen district. Plan accordingly what to pack and compare with what you find comfortable under such conditions back home.

http://www.yr.no/

Also be aware that in the fjord district temperatures can vary much from the sea up to the mountains - a height difference of up to 1.500 meters.

Mentioned in this post
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
New York
Level Contributor
150 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Preparing for Norway trip

Are there any females out there who could advise? I don't need advice on my trip route. My friends have made this trip every year without a problem (yes I could ask them but we're all been playing phone tag). And yes we are driving one way and flying back.

Again, does anybody have any suggestions? Weather reports can't tell me if the wind will make 70 degree weather feel like 30. And the weather report can't tell me if I need hiking boots due to the muddy areas around the fjords or if I"m better off with light sneakers.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,665 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Preparing for Norway trip

Unless you can provide a much more detailed itinerary telling where you will be, it is difficult to tell you about the conditions - e.g. what to be prepared for. And only the weather forecast may provide some up to date information for the days that you are visiting.

norway
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Preparing for Norway trip

Think layers and include a fleece-jacket and a wind/rainproof jacket in your bag. If you're planning some serious hiking, bring your boots, otherwise sneakers will be fine.

Have a great time!

Larvik, Norway
Level Contributor
402 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Preparing for Norway trip

I agree with foona, bring a fleece-jacket/hot sweater and a wind/rainproof jacket. I wouldn't have used sneakers but runningshoes. The sole is much thinner on sneakers and are not good if you would like to take a walk on the mountain. If you are doing seriously walking you need to bring hikingshoes. Runningshoes with gore-tex (waterproof) is too hot in the southern part, unless its raining, but in the northernpart of the country it is suitable, but also here you can use regularly running shoes.

Edited: 18 June 2010, 07:53
Oslo
Level Contributor
15,898 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Preparing for Norway trip

Agree with GT.

7 days driving from Oslo via "the fjords" to the north cape is possible, but not enjoyable. Focus on a smaller portion of the country.

Mentioned in this post
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
New York
Level Contributor
150 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Preparing for Norway trip

This is great advice! Thank you so much!

I can't give you much more in details because the planning is out of my hands (which is a good for me because I always plan everything and so it is nice to be the passenger and just enjoy).

Great advice about the shoes! I'm not a "serious" hiker so I was going to buy the running shoes w/ goretex but now I won't and I can save some money. :) And is it acceptable to walk into a restaurant with clean running shoes?

And what would be appropriate attire for 30 yr. old females in Oslo on Friday night (nice restaurant dinner plus bar/club)?

Mentioned in this post
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Oslo
Level Contributor
15,898 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Preparing for Norway trip

Norwegians are notoriously informal, so sneakers and jeans are fully acceptable in virtually every establishment.