We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Making the best of cruise itinerary

London
Level Contributor
26 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Making the best of cruise itinerary

My wife and I are visiting on a cruise late May and our plces to visit are Stavanger, Alesund, Geiranger and Bergen. The average 5 hour excusion on the cruise in £85 and we are trying to be a little budget minded but I need to point out my wife cannot stand for long periods and her walking is slow. Could people be kind enough to advise what really is the best of trips to see these ports, we love nature and photography, shops are not very important.

Can one travel without the big coaches which waste time and also people on board often have little regard for disabilities they just push and shove. What kind of weather is aveage for this time of year please as well. Thank you for your help.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
28,644 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Making the best of cruise itinerary

Stavanger, Bergen and Ålesund have compact town centers and normally we would recommend walking around. But with walking and coaches as no option, I suppose a taxi ride would be the best. Although taxis are quite expensive in Norway, you could go quite far for £ 85.

Geiranger on the other hand is just a small village and the attraction is the landscape and the fjord itself. Doing the excursion in Geiranger could be worthwhile, but the shoring is by tender boat and maybe not so convenient.

Weatherwise, late May should be an excellent time to go, but weather in Western Norway is always a bit variable so no guarantees.

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Making the best of cruise itinerary

In Aalesund the must do is to go to see the the view down over the town,it is absolutely spectacular,we did it by climbing the steps which does not sound like an option for you,there is a tourist train but when we arrived it was booked for the day,maybe somebody could tell how much a cab would be as it really shouldn't be missed.

Geiranger is very beautiful but as has been mentioned going ashore is by tender which is sometimes not so easy,the place is compact & the best way around for us was walking,quite a bit of climbing is involved,again well worth it.

As for Bergen,again the view down over the town is great on a clear day,of which there ain't too many(!),it is reached using the Funicular railway,tickets for which are best purchased from the tourist board to avoid long lines at the station,the market is also worth a visit as,I believe,the old town is,sadly we didn't get there due to a combination of the weather & being berthed at the container terminal getting to & from which restricted the already short time we had there.

Whatever you do Norway is beautiful!

Edited: 23 February 2011, 18:32
Oslo
Level Contributor
15,032 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Making the best of cruise itinerary

The Fløien funicular (Bergen) is excellent, only little walking needed (no stairs). In Ålesund perhaps take a taxi to Aksla.

London
Level Contributor
26 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Making the best of cruise itinerary

Would be interesting to know the costs of a taxi in Alesund to the viewpoint if anyone can help out there. Thanks for your help :)

Oslo
Level Contributor
15,032 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Making the best of cruise itinerary

Taxis are relatively expensive, so quickly 100-150 NOK one way.

London
Level Contributor
26 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Making the best of cruise itinerary

Oh well .... ride up in cab ...walk down slowly :)

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Making the best of cruise itinerary

Depends on the cause of your walking difficulties IME,coming down was even worse for me because of problem knees,perhaps one of the other posters can advise the walk down via the road would take much longer if at all.

Oslo
Level Contributor
15,032 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Making the best of cruise itinerary

Mostly steep stairs down

visitalesund-geiranger.com/ImageVault/Images…

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,355 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Making the best of cruise itinerary

You can see some of the stairs and the view in this album:

http://tinyurl.com/6eav5dh

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Making the best of cruise itinerary

I have to admit I was a bit shocked at the condition of the steps in parts but it is an incredably popular attraction,for good reason!