We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ferries and rail from uk to Norway

east anglia
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Topic
ferries and rail from uk to Norway

Hello,

cant fly unfortunately.

So in this age of cheap air fares, how does one get from the UK to Oslo or norway using the old methods of rail and sail?

any tips?

Takk!

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,180 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ferries and rail from uk to Norway

You will need to look at the DFDS Seaways site,from what I have seen the only ferry link is from Harwich in the UK to Esbjerg in Denmark & then from Copenhagen to Oslo,Harwich has a rail link to London

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,508 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ferries and rail from uk to Norway

Only one ferrylink left between Britain and Norway - DFDS Freight (http://freight.dfdsseaways.com/), between Immingham (Hull) and Brevik (Porsgrunn). Not very fancy or anything like that, but it does take passengers.

If you take the proper passenger ferry between Harwich and Esbjerg, you can also catch a Oslo-ferry from the northern Danish port of Hirtshals (Stena Line).

For rail it's Eurostar to Lille. On to Germany and then Denmark. Crossing over to Sweden and then straight up the Swedeish east coast into Norway - doable in about a forthnight.

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,180 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ferries and rail from uk to Norway

I had read about that route but been advised that actual travel depends on freight loadings,I was told that it wasn't possible to book far ahead & if the freight loads were very busy you may not travel so I didn't go any further with that one.

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,013 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ferries and rail from uk to Norway

You can also travel by rail to northern tip of Denmark, then ferry to Kristiansand or Stavanger/Bergen.

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,508 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ferries and rail from uk to Norway

Being left behind on the freight route is a possibility, but not too often. As you say, depends on the amount of freight loads. Don't know how far ahead one can book passanger rides, but you could send them an email.

As to my previous post. The Oslo-ferry from northern Denmark doesn't leave from Hirtshals, but Frederikshavn. There is also a ferry to Larvik from Hirtshals.

6. Re: ferries and rail from uk to Norway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 17:18