We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell Phone coverage and Prepaid SIM card

Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
448 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Cell Phone coverage and Prepaid SIM card

Hello Norway Experts,

How's the cell phone coverage (GSM/3G/4G/HSPA) in Norway?

I expect it should be fine in cities like in Oslo or Bergen...

What's about the coverage in Flåm and Sognefjord?

Nigardsbreen?

And is it possible to buy prepaid SIM card for the cell phone?

Which are the cell phone service providers in Norway?

Any recommendation about prepaid SIM card? I am looking for the ones with data plan/3G/etc.

Thanks...

Davis, California
1 post
Save Reply
81. Re: Cell Phone coverage and Prepaid SIM card

Can you tell me how it went? I plan on going this fall! Thanks, Dave

Zurich, Switzerland
1 post
Save Reply
82. Re: Cell Phone coverage and Prepaid SIM card

Hi, after reading most of these posts and trying to fight my way through the all the providers websites with no english translation i am still wondering.

some descriptions for what i would need:

- travelling norway for 3 weeks with extensive studying and web usage

that means i would need unlimited prepaid access

-> this means the telenor pay-as-you-go pack doesnt make sens for me, accept the 500MB would be daily limited.

Any good ideas? :)

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
11,080 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
83. Re: Cell Phone coverage and Prepaid SIM card

Things change rapidly in this field and the regulars have no use of pre-paid SIM so it is difficult to give you precise advise - we are still waiting for feed back from tourists!!!

The main problem is that you need to register your ID before you can get the SIM card activated so it's no use buying a cheapo-provider start-pack from the local newsagents if they can't arrange registration and activation straight away.

Only Telenor /Telering and Netcom have physical shops where you should be able to get registration done (but read #76 and I asked in another Telering shop and they just tried to send me to the newsagents!) - you'll generally find one i larger shopping centres - Netcom have the best deal that I've seen in terms of providing data - https://netcom.no/privat/kontant - opening Norwegian sites in Chrome browser will get the whole page translated by GoogleTranslate.

Good luck and please report back!!

Edited: 24 June 2014, 17:11
Amherst...
1 post
Save Reply
84. Re: Cell Phone coverage and Prepaid SIM card

Is this SIM card the right thing if I want a few phone (up to 5) calls & email? I don't expect to surf, but I would like to stay connected. I will be north--Lofoten area. Coverage still good?

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
11,080 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
85. Re: Cell Phone coverage and Prepaid SIM card

Coverage is good all over Norway. If you are staying in one place ask the owners if there is a preferred provider. For limited use a kontant (prepaid) pack from Telenor would pobably suit you and costs only around NOK 50. Read earlier posts about registration and activation hassle in Norway.

3 posts
Save Reply
86. Re: Cell Phone coverage and Prepaid SIM card

Any updates on this. I will be Spending about 7 days in Norway starting next week, Then plan on heading to Denmark & Sweden. Also potentially Ireland & Croatia all in a span of a month. I might want to upload a few pictures and do a video chat or two +GPS. Which one of these providers will give me the best deal, so I won't have to buy a new sim service & registration starter costs in every country?

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
11,080 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
87. Re: Cell Phone coverage and Prepaid SIM card

There is no sim that I know that gives a good data deal cross border - you are always roaming at high cost in another country.

Starter costs are minimal - even negative as you get a better deal with starter packs than you do with refilling - it's just the hassle of finding someplace that will sort registration and activation for you. See previous posts.

I don't know what the requirements are in other countries - enquire on their forums.

Count on using WiFi - generally available in hotels, cafes etc.

Free State, South...
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
88. Re: Cell Phone coverage and Prepaid SIM card

Hi all

My daughter is in Oslo now for studies

She bought the Kontant prepaid sim for 200NOK, which includes 49NOK to use, 200 mb for 3 months

The deal is supposed to state 10NOK max per day for data, but what if you just a very small amount of data for eg WhatsApp, let's say only 1 or 2 mb per day, what is the costs then??

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
24,517 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
89. Re: Cell Phone coverage and Prepaid SIM card

You will have to post that question to the the teleprovider.

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
90. Re: Cell Phone coverage and Prepaid SIM card

I was told when I arrived that Telenor has the best cell phone coverage here in Norway so that is what I got. I have traveled from Stavanger to Norway and there are some areas where you won't have coverage like when you are in a remote areas but in the towns you will have no problems. You can buy prepaid SIM cards here for your phone.