We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wales to Norway (plus Denmark and Sweden) for a month

Federated States of...
Level Contributor
90 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
Wales to Norway (plus Denmark and Sweden) for a month

Hello

Myself, my wife and two children (5 and 1) are hopefully going to be travelling this summer (July / August) in our campervan around Scandinavia. We live in Wales and will be driving from Wales, where we have around a month to travel around.

The very brief plan I have at the moment is to get the ferry to Esbjerg from Harwich. Make our way to Hirtshals – ferry to Kristiansand

Make our way towards Bergen

Make our way towards Oslo and then Sweden East Coast

Make our way slowly towards the Hook of Holland – then ferry home!

We are looking at seeing some scenery, and some relaxing!

Just ordered a Lonely Planet guide.. so will get my head into.

Any suggestions on my brief overview of a plan?

thanks

Mentioned in this post
Wales
Wales
United Kingdom
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Oslo
Level Contributor
15,992 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wales to Norway (plus Denmark and Sweden) for a month

The swedish coast is a nice place to spend summer time. But if you want some scenery I would surely recommend Norway over South/Central Sweden, particularly the extreme landscapes in Western Fjords area, but also the highlands, inner valleys and lakes, impressions:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-En1CJY3Z_gQ/Tc61S_kGIqI/AAAAAAAAAlg/hVph0teWMb8/s1600/Tyrifjroden+140511+005.jpg

…blogspot.com/-8aXHuz7LxeY/…IMG_3821.JPG

…blogspot.com/-jUu3mLK3Kcw/…P1050050.JPG

…blogspot.com/-RaCc22c_Iqs/…P1180095.JPG

onmytodd.org/wp-uploads/2011/03/IMG_3465.jpg

…wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/19/A_view…

janovebrenden.no/gallery3/…

You should also be aware of driving distances inside Norway and Sweden. Norway alone is wider then the UK, Sweden is even bigger.

Mentioned in this post
Sweden
Sweden
Europe
Federated States of...
Level Contributor
90 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wales to Norway (plus Denmark and Sweden) for a month

Wow - some amazing views, thanks. Yes I am aware of the driving distances, although I know I will need to drive a fair bit - I don;t want to spend the entire trip driving.

How far north would you recommend me driving in order to experience some scenery like the examples you gave me.I notice that Sognefjellet is about 500 miles from Kristiansand. What about the national parks on the way up to Bergen?

thanks

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,894 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wales to Norway (plus Denmark and Sweden) for a month

I think you have a great plan. From Kristiansand you may drive E39 towards Flekkefjord. Then you have the options of continuing E39 further on to Stavanger, or take the more coastal roads along the Jæren landscapes. I would prefer the last.

From Stavanger to Bergen you will have several choices, either along the outer coastline, or more inland and some crossng fiords.

From Bergen to Oslo you will follow fiords and pass the highlands.

For planning in Norway I prefere www.visveg.no You may choose between scenic routes and fast routes. Ferry crossings with links to actual schedules will bve a part of the itineraries. Dont expect an average of more than 30mph with a campervan in Norway, maybe 40 on a good day. Danish and Swedish roads are much faster than Norwegian.

Mentioned in this post
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Federated States of...
Level Contributor
90 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wales to Norway (plus Denmark and Sweden) for a month

Thanks,glad you said that - I will have a look a the visveg site later on.

Going to start looking at campsites along the way....lots of planning!

thanks

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,894 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wales to Norway (plus Denmark and Sweden) for a month

With a campervan you may often park along the road when you find a nice place. If camping is not forbidden, it is allowed. Petrol stations may provide you with fresh water from the tap, bottled water is not neccesary. Dont buy your food at the petrol station, it is highly over-priced. Petrol is normally cheaper during sunday until monday morning (may be until 10% difference).

Oslo
Level Contributor
15,992 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wales to Norway (plus Denmark and Sweden) for a month

While Norway's national parks are nice, you don't need to focus on them, there are great scenic landscapes in large parts of Norway, particularly along the western coasts and central mountains. Since you have a campervan you do not need to think about booking accomodation and are free to explore.

You don't need to go as far north as Sognefjord and Sognefjell. For the great fjord landscapes (with glaciers and waterfalls) you could at some point between Stavanger and Bergen choose an inland route. For instance E39-E134-road 13:

otersport.no/images%20-%20Ogve/…20O.JPG

visithaugesund.no/ImageVault/Images/id_7047/…

http://img.digit.no/864/864280/230.jpg

…deviantart.net/fs45/PRE/i/2009/071/1/f/Folg…

The E39 runs along relatively low islands on the very coast.

7. Re: Wales to Norway (plus Denmark and Sweden) for a month

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 08:16