We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advance Accommodation Reservations Required in August?

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Advance Accommodation Reservations Required in August?

Very excited to spend two weeks driving around Southern and Central Norway with my 8 year old son in early August. The rough plan that is evolving is Oslo-Geilo-Bergen then a slow drive to Alesund, over to Jotunheimen, Lillehammer, then back to Oslo. A couple of questions....is the rough itinerary too ambitious, not ambitious enough or good to get a range of experiences while having time for hiking, rafting, and maybe some summer skiing? We don't want to be driving all the time. The other question we have is whether we should book affordable accommodation in advance? We are happy with hostels, cabins, and basic hotel stays but budget is an issue given Norway's prices! Thanks for any advice.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
28,646 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advance Accommodation Reservations Required in August?

I think August is too late for summer skiing.

As for the more affordable accomodation suitable for families - obviously they are sought after in an expensive country like Norway. In popular areas like the fjords, booking in advance is necessary in high season like August.

Your rough itinerary sounds ok.

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advance Accommodation Reservations Required in August?

I am not so certain that booking in advance is necessary, as not many Norwegians spend their holydays in hotels and our prices keep many foreign visitors away. You may often find good deals at the door. The exception is during different festivals like Molde Jazz or similar.

Be aware that many Norwegian hotel chains have parted with booking sites like Expedia. It is better to search hotels own web-sites.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
28,646 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advance Accommodation Reservations Required in August?

I can only speak from my own experience - this June we tried for our preferred accomodation approximately one week in advance only to find that they were fully booked. One night we ended up at the youth hostel which was ok, but out of town and not what we had in mind. Another night we did get a room at a b&b, our preferred self catering cottages were fully booked. We did manage to get the camping cabin we wanted as we had booked in advance. In late afternoon all the nice cabins with shower and toilet were full - simple cabins were still available. Some German friends of us doing approximately the same stretch of road ended up in accomodation they described as bad, disagreeable and noisy.

The recommandation from the Tourist Board is also to book ahead

visitnorway.com/uk/…

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advance Accommodation Reservations Required in August?

It may differ around the country. Anyway Klima, you didn't have to sleep in the car. Of coarse the Tourist Board recommends booking ahead - its their business. The advantage of booking ahead is the certainty, the disadvantage is that you are stuck with your plan.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
28,646 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advance Accommodation Reservations Required in August?

It was experiences from Nordland county, Trøndelag county and Sogn og Fjordane coumty. Luckily we were only two grown ups - it would have been more difficult with tired kids in the back seat. Sleep in the car we did not, but we could have had a nicer experience with better planning like booking well in advance.

The page I am referring to is the only one I have seen where the TB recommends advance booking - it is their business to give relevant info to tourists.

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,262 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advance Accommodation Reservations Required in August?

I would also recommend booking in advance to get the preferred accomodation. Driving around with a 8 y/o looking for available accomodation at night is not something I would risk doing.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advance Accommodation Reservations Required in August?

Thanks very much for the advice everyone. I think I will book the major stops where we are staying for multiple nights and the ones where I have a particular place in mind. It would be nice to have a little bit of flexibility though as well.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
28,646 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advance Accommodation Reservations Required in August?

Without reservation, an early arrival is best. At least carry a list so that you can phone in advance. In the countryside there can be quite some distances between accomodation possibilities.

9. Re: Advance Accommodation Reservations Required in August?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2013, 10:16