We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cabin Cleaning Fee?

stillwater
Level Contributor
161 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Cabin Cleaning Fee?

I am finalizing lodging arrangements for our July trip, and in several places we have rented a cabin or apartment. It seems we can save money by cleaning them ourselves before we check out, or we can pay a cleaning fee. An optional cleaning fee is something we don't see in the U.S.

What is the expected level of cleaning we must do? I assume it doesn't include disinfecting everything like a hotel maid might do. I am trying to decide if it is worth our time, or if we simply want to pay someone else to do the cleaning.

What is your experience and suggestion?

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,482 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Cabin Cleaning Fee?

You would be expected to leave the accommodation exactly as you found it, so this would include doing the bathroom and kitchen thoroughly, plus washing the floor. It's quite a lot of work and labour rates are very high in Norway, so that's why the charge may be quite high. Maybe worth it if you are splitting the cost five ways, but if you normally keep your own homes very clean anyway you might not feel it's too much work to do yourselves.

Mentioned in this post
Norway
Norway
Europe
stillwater
Level Contributor
161 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cabin Cleaning Fee?

So would we be provided with cleaning supplies and equipment such as vacuum, buckets, rags, cleaning solution, etc.?

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
30,621 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cabin Cleaning Fee?

Yes, all equipment for cleaning is provided, but I have not come across a vacuum cleaner in camping cabins. They will normally have one at the reception for you to use. Dishes must be done and stowed. Tea towels are usually provided.

Edited: 15 April 2013, 16:51
stillwater
Level Contributor
161 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cabin Cleaning Fee?

Thank you so much!

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
15,655 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cabin Cleaning Fee?

Note that when renting cabins (and possibly apartments) in Norway bed linen may not be provided and you are expected to take your own bottom sheet, duvet cover and pillow case for each bed. You should check carefully in the description and if not specifically stated then enquire.

Mentioned in this post
Norway
Norway
Europe
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
30,621 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cabin Cleaning Fee?

At most places you can rent linen for a fee.

stillwater
Level Contributor
161 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cabin Cleaning Fee?

Yes, thank you for the reminder about linens. We will need bedsheets, towels and pillows. I'm quite sure all of the cabins/apartments we have booked have them for an additional fee. On my "list of things to do" in the next month is to confirm those details. THANKS!

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
30,621 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cabin Cleaning Fee?

Pillows and duvets are normally provided :) Some make do with a bed liner - personally I prefer linens.

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,482 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Cabin Cleaning Fee?

If you are moving frequently the cost of hiring linen in each place will be an expensive extra. Better to bring your own if you can. Duvets will always be single size, even on double beds, and nearly always single size mattresses.

stillwater
Level Contributor
161 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cabin Cleaning Fee?

Hmmmm . . . I'll have to do some calculations on bringing our own versus renting at each place. The plan so far has been to NOT check any luggage on our flight over. Might it be worth our while to check a bag filled with sheets and towels? But then we'd have to launder them somewhere along the way. Especially with wet towels, there is an advantage to being able to leave them behind rather than take them to the next place in a car that already needs to accommodate 5 women and their "stuff!" But it's worth a think-through!

This is what I LOVE about Trip Advisor and in particular, this Norway forum! Everyone is so helpful and gives tips and suggestions that will make the trip even BETTER and can save us money! Thanks so much for all your ideas!

Mentioned in this post
Norway
Norway
Europe