We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oslo to Atlantic road and back in a day?

t0d
Ldn
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Oslo to Atlantic road and back in a day?

I'm flying out the Oslo this weekend where I have two nights booked and then going onwards to Stockholm for a night.

Me and my friend have rented a nice car to go for a scenic drive but only have one day to go somewhere. We were really keen to visit the Atlantic Road and if it's worth it were willing to soldier it up there.

We are not sure if it's possible in the time we have and any advice would be much appreciated!

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,111 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oslo to Atlantic road and back in a day?

It is impossible to do the Atlantic Road as a day trip from Oslo. Please look at distances and driving times using for example Google Maps. Add 20% to the timings as driving in Norway is slow.

To be honest I have never understood tourist's willingness to make a significant detour and driving for more than a day to experience the Atlantic Road. Norway has so much more to offer.

How many hours have got available for your day trip? We can give you some suggestions if you give us more details.

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Oslo to Atlantic road and back in a day?

Oslo is really not a good starting point for a scenic one day drive, but it you are committed to having a car I'd suggest a tour around Telemark, first to Drammen and Notodden, then north to Rjukan and along the south side of Hardangervidda to Amot. Then return on the E134 via Seljord. Might be worth including Dalen after Amot for a break at the Dalen Hotel, but not sure whether it will be open at this time.

t0d
Ldn
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oslo to Atlantic road and back in a day?

Thanks for your advice. Literally one full day is available as the next day we are driving to Stockholm so have to be back in our hotel in Oslo in the evening.

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Oslo to Atlantic road and back in a day?

My suggested tour would work in a day if you enjoy driving, with some really good mountain and lake scenery after Notodden and very little traffic on good roads. I think most visitors to Oslo would prefer a day in the city though.

t0d
Ldn
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oslo to Atlantic road and back in a day?

Thank you so much for your advice. We might do that instead of the Atlantic road and anyone else's advice is much appreciated.

I read on the website about Valdresflya, any opinion on that in comparison?

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Oslo to Atlantic road and back in a day?

Valdresflya has wonderful views of the Jotunheim mountains, but only on a fine day. In my opinion it's too far from Oslo for a day excursion and doesn't lend itself to a round trip, so would probably be there and back the same way.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,027 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oslo to Atlantic road and back in a day?

You can enter Valdresflya via Fagernes and Øystre Slidre in Valdres and cross it for returning via Vågå \ Otta in Gudbrandsdalen (or vice versa).

However, it will make a very long day.

Edited: 20 April 2013, 13:05
Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
5,503 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oslo to Atlantic road and back in a day?

For another who are thinking about this, a day trip from Oslo to the Fjords; Fly Oslo to Stavanger (Pulpit Rock), Bergen (NiN) or Ålesund (The Atlantic Road, Trollstigen, Geiranger), and rent a car at the destination!

Edited: 20 April 2013, 14:39
Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Oslo to Atlantic road and back in a day?

Novel idea Gunnar, if rather expensive, but I think Sogndal would be a more practical place to fly to. Shorter flight and several fantastic round trips right from the airport without driving too far

e.g. Fjaerland, Gaularfjell, Balestrand,

or Luster, Turtagro, Tindevegen, Laerdal,

or car ferry to Gudvangen, (Undredal) Flam, Aurland, Snow Road to Laerdal.

Morning and evening flights from Oslo with Wideroe would give you 12 hours for the car trip so plenty of time to enjoy. Should be some great views from the plane too.

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Oslo to Atlantic road and back in a day?

Only the first suggestion would work in April though as the high level roads will be closed. Fine in the summer though.