We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amount of cash to bring with us

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Amount of cash to bring with us

We'll be spending 2 weeks in Scandinavia with half of that time in Norway. Do car ferries, toll roads and eateries accept credit cards or should we bring cash for all of these? Can you give me an idea of the cost of tolls or car ferries?

Here's our Norway itinerary. 2 days in Oslo, then prepaid Norway in a Nutshell day ending up in Bergen, renting a car in Bergen and driving to Ulvik, Solvorn, Gerainger, Alesund and back to Bergen (with one night in each place) and then flying out of Bergen.

Thank you!

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,683 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amount of cash to bring with us

Most toll roads are automatic, you just pass and there is no need for cash at all. If you have a rental car, it will be added to your car rental bill. All shops and eateries will accept cards, so will most car ferries.

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Amount of cash to bring with us

The easiest and cheapest way to get cash in Norway is to use a card in an ATM (called 'Minibank' in Norway). Any charges will be more than offset by the exchange rate which will be much better than you will get at a bank or currency exchange counter.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
13,562 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amount of cash to bring with us

It's usually cheapest to use a debit/credit card whereever possible - and there are very few locations where you won't be able to do that - small amounts are no problem, it won't raise eyebrows if you use a credit card to buy a cup of coffee. Taxis take credit cards, long distance buses too and for local buses buy tickets in shop/kiosk with credit card.

If you must have some cash then cheapest would normally be to get it with credit card from ATM on arrival - you'll find them in the airport - use it up at the end by paying part cash and part credit card.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Amount of cash to bring with us

Is it cheaper to withdraw out of ATMs and incur a fee rather than order in the US from the bank?

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Amount of cash to bring with us

The exchange rate at an ATM in Norway will be much better than you will get at a bank in the US (or anywhere else). Using a debit card will save you any cash withdrawal charges and interest that might be payable with a credit card.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,683 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amount of cash to bring with us

They all say so, I have never done the actual maths. It would be a lot safer than carry a lot of cash around though. The very best is to pay with card whenever possible.

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,671 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Amount of cash to bring with us

I've done the math for me. But it all depends on if the card-issuing bank adds any extra fees for use abroad.

Here in Norway the standard has become no-fees for most card sissued these days, with the expetion of a conversion fee (normally 1.75%) for use abroad. If your bank adds hefty fees for use abroad, find a new bank.

I use the currency-calculator from VISA Europe, as it you there get the exact currency rates the (VISA-)card will use: visaeurope.com/en/…exchange_rates.aspx

For US users: …visa.com/pd/…

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
13,562 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amount of cash to bring with us

Figure it out - manual transactions with banks/exchange bureaux are expensive, they have a lot of costs to cover - which they do by giving you a lousy exchange rate! Filling a machine with kroner in Norway is cheap - just find a card that isn't too greedy with charges. Ever since my credit card was swallowed by an ATM in Germany and Sweden I would not travel with less than two cards.

9. Re: Amount of cash to bring with us

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2014, 05:16