We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

prepaid data sim for norway?

Aldershot
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
prepaid data sim for norway?

Hi all. Off to Stavanger for a family wedding in a couple of weeks, and I am looking for a data sim for my phone/tablet for whilst I am there.

I need quite a bit as I'll be uploading photos, etc. About 1 gb should do.

I've had a look around but am having trouble finding anything. I've looked at toggle and some other international sim cards but they are pretty expensive, about 25 pence per mb, which would cost me way too much.

I'd really prefer to buy from the u.k. if possible as I'm arriving the night before the wedding, so won't really have time to go searching around once I'm there.

Any ideas?

Thanks everyone.

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,099 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: prepaid data sim for norway?

Perhaps a stupid question, but can you not just take advantage of wifi instead whenever available?

Aldershot
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: prepaid data sim for norway?

No because the place we are staying at doesn't have wifi and I don't really want to be searching for places to get free wifi. I'll be there with family from all over the world and want to be able to get data on the move. Not worried about calls or texts, just data.

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,627 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: prepaid data sim for norway?

Problem is that the market for pre-paid (PAYG) accounts plummeted when operators where charged with ensuring a positive ID for users of this kind of account, so the market is tiny in Norway with little competition.

As a non-Norwegian you also have to be present with your passport in a shop to get the SIM-card activated, so it isn't possible online.

For Norwegians it's easier as we can use our personal ID-number to identify ourselves and can get this done online.

As it's a family affair I'm guessing there are some locals attending as well? If one of them could (under their own name) register an account for you at https://www.talkmore.no/altiett_faktura.html (199 NOK per month including 1GB). Note this is a prepaid account and the credit card registered will be charge the monthly amount (199 NOK ) until the account is closed (which needs to be done 30 days in advance - ie for a single months use it needs to be closed in writing more or less the same day it's activated).

More or less every hotel in Norway these days offer free wi-fi, and also a great many cafes and restaurants.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
12,975 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: prepaid data sim for norway?

Difficult one - as far as I know there isn't any really good deal. Residents now use fixed price monthly subscriptions and pay-as-you-go is no longer of interest and hopelessly expensive for data. I've never seen a good deal just for data like you can get in UK. You need identification (passport) to get any SIM card, and you won't get a monthly subscription without a Norwegian address and credit check. You might read the last few contributions on this thread: tripadvisor.co.uk/…49524681

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,627 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: prepaid data sim for norway?

A quick note. It seems the best deal for prepaid without going online is through Netcom, who have a store in downtown Stavanger (at Stavanger Storsenter, Kirkegata 2). 299 NOK for 800 MB or 399 for unlimited use (both also include text and phoning).

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
12,975 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: prepaid data sim for norway?

Good news, WhiskyTraveller would you update that link?

Note that it would still be cheaper with 2 x Telenor PAYG sims with 500MB/month.

Aldershot
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: prepaid data sim for norway?

Thanks for your replies, I'll have to look ino the options and see what's best. Can't believe how expensive it is comared to the u.k.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
12,975 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: prepaid data sim for norway?

Expensive? A quick check suggested that it costs around £10 for 1-2GB in UK. Same as the solution with Telenor here.

Aldershot
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: prepaid data sim for norway?

Could you post a link to where you found that price for a prepaid sim? I have seen nothing as cheap as that. Here in the u.k. I pay £11 for a 3 gb 90 day sim for my mifi, I'd be happy to pa 3 times that for a 1 gb sim in norway if I could find it.

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,627 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: prepaid data sim for norway?

Here's the link for the Netcom-deal - https:/…fastpris-kontant

This is the one for the Telenor-deal - telenor.no/privat/…