We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Alesund to Geiranger

Miami, Florida
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Driving Alesund to Geiranger

Hi:

Looking for some planning and safety advice. We are traveling in Norway the very end of June. Our itinerary includes this segment:

Arrive Alesund on Hurtigruten 6:00 PM

Pick up rental car at airport

Drive to Geiranger, which includes Ørnevegen (the Eagles Road)

My questions are, will we have enough time to:

Make the last ferry from Linge to Eisdal (Eisdal – Linge timetable puts it around 10:00 PM)

Safely drive Ørnevegen? Sunset isn’t until 11:00 PM.

Because we will be returning to Alesund, doing it this way (as opposed to disembarking Hurtigruten in Geiranger) saves a large, one-way drop off fee on the rental car. This return trip will also be our opportunity to stop along the Eagles Road.

Thank you!

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Alesund to Geiranger

Disembarking from Hurtigruten in Ålesund at 1800 means that you've already been to Geiranger and back. Doing the same trip by car is different, but still back-tracking. If it was me, I would disembark from Hurtigruten at their morning docking. Then you can drive to Geiranger and back using different itineraries, Sjøholt-Ling-Eidsdal one way, Hellesylt-Stranda the other.

Oslo
Level Contributor
13,470 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Alesund to Geiranger

Airport is at Vigra island while Hurtigruten docks in the centre, perhaps not convenient?

Vigra airport to Geiranger is about 120 km, or some 2 hours driving + ferry. Driving up to Mt Dalsnibba will eat another hour. I would say its doable but rushed returning to Ålesund the same day.

I would not worry about safety. There is daylight until midnight. Most important descending mountain passes is to take it easy, let engine control speed.

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Alesund to Geiranger

Not quite sure I understand the logic of going to Geiranger with Hurtigruten then driving back there again with the car, though maybe I have misunderstood something. I assume you will be staying in Geiranger.

Have you considered getting off Hurtigruten at Alesund in the morning, pick up the car downtown then drive to Geiranger? If you use the Hellesylt to Geiranger car ferry you will see the most interesting part of the Geirangerfjord the same as you would on Hurtigruten. That would also give you the opportunity of seeing the Hjorundfjord on the way to Hellesylt.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
11,618 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving Alesund to Geiranger

To answer your question directly - Ålesund to Linge is about 1 1/2 hours driving and the last boat is 23:05 (11.05pm), so you shouldn't have any problem making that. Sunset at 23:00 means that it will hardly get dark so again no problem. I would just investigate whether you could collect the car at the quayside - that would save you around NOK 300 taxi or the time wasted waiting for the bus.

Edited: 24 May 2013, 17:57
Miami, Florida
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving Alesund to Geiranger

Thank you!

6. Re: Driving Alesund to Geiranger

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2014, 05:17