My husband and I are very soon traveling to Norway from the U.S. for the first time - Arriving at the Oslo Airport (Gardermoen) on Saturday, June 29 and departing Sunday, July 7 from Bergen Airport. My husband has business in Sandefjord for a day and a half (Monday night and all day Tuesday), so we need to take the train there on Monday afternoon. Then first thing Wednesday morning we can head to the western fjord area. We want to get a fabulous glimpse of Norway's scenery. I have been reading many of the posts on TA, as well as reading the Rick Steves Norway book.
We do not typically like to spend much time in museums or in big cities-other than walking around the major sites/parks, nor do we do much shopping. We love walking in scenic areas, hiking, exploring charming smaller towns/off the beaten path, and taking photography. Our travel style is casual and our accommodations at hotels should be on the nicer side (but do not have to be luxury), with private bath, quiet room. 800-1500 NOK per night for the room would be an acceptable range for hotel, including breakfast. Could go a little higher for 2 nights if you want to recommend a special place.
We will NOT have a car, and want to rely on trains and ferries (and an occasional bus, if needed).
We definitely want to spend several days in the fjord area and can definitely get off the Norway in a Nutshell rut. Sounds like Balestrand may be a good place from what I've read.
Dates we will be in Norway are Saturday, June 29th until Sunday morning, July 7th.
Here's what we've got so far:
- Saturday, June 29th ...arrive at Oslo Airport (OSL) and go to a hotel (need hotel recommendations). Should we just stay at a hotel by the airport and get some sleep, or should we travel into Oslo or similar to start our exploring? Since we're not huge fans of big cities should we train to some other place instead of Oslo?
- Sunday, June 30th....WHOLE DAY open ...what should we see/where should we stay?
Should we see at least a few sights in Oslo?? (Bygdoy looked like a possibility. Should we stay over there???)
Or should we continue further south from Oslo and start heading towards Sandefjord, IF there are charming places to see...
- Monday, July 1....arrive in Sandefjord by mid afternoon. Staying at the Rica Park Hotel there for 2 nights. Anything special I should see during the whole day on Tuesday, July 2nd, while my husband is in meetings in Sandefjord?. Any ideas are most welcome.
- Wednesday, July 3...leave Sandefjord early morning and take the scenic train in the direction of Bergen (Nutshell Train, at least to Flam?). We'd like to stay at a hotel in a charming town and stay there for 2-3 nights and do day trips from there.
- Thursday, July 4...day trip of hiking/ferries/scenery
- Friday, July 5...day trip of hiking/ferries/scenery
- Saturday, July 6...??Ferry to Bergen. Then we want to stay at a hotel very close to the Bergen Airport as our flight the next morning is VERY early. Any recommendations?
I know I've asked lots of questions, and am certainly willing to get your input on just a few of the items as you see fit.
Sure looking forward to exploring!