We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

family trip to norway - 2 week, help needed :)

tel aviv
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
family trip to norway - 2 week, help needed :)

dear forum,

I'm planning a trip for my family, 2 60 year olds, 4 dads/moms, 2 kids 3-7, 2 babies.

at first i considered an RV trip, but then realized it may be too dificult for the grandparents.

ideally, we can do a "star" kind of trip where we hop between 2-3 hotels and spend a few days in each, traveling around the area with rental cars.

the budget is pretty flexible. we're landing at oslo, have 2 weeks, and would like to explore the most beautiful areas we can.

will really appreciate help here.

thanks!!

Oslo
Level Contributor
15,303 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: family trip to norway - 2 week, help needed :)

Most first time visitors head for the fjords in the west country. That would also be the a good option for you as you land in Oslo and have 2 weeks. Renting a car is a good idea for group, but note that cars are expensive in Norway.

Read up here:

visitnorway.com/en/Where-to-go/Fjord-Norway/

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: family trip to norway - 2 week, help needed :)

Are you sure this trip is a good idea? Driving holidays are not ideal neither for 3-7 year olds nor for babies. Babies need their naps, food and change of diapers at regular intervals, older kids get easily bored by sitting in a car for more than a few hrs. To organize such a trip for a large group of people from 0-60 to everybody's satisfaction seems to me an impossible task. If it was me I would postpone this trip until the children are older.

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: family trip to norway - 2 week, help needed :)

This trip could work well if you don't move around too much as you have suggested, but I'd recommend you hire at least two, preferably three, cars to make the journeys between bases comfortable and give everyone some flexibility in what you do each day

It might be better to stay in a large self-catering holiday home where you could all stay together and have a lot more space to take care of and entertain the children than you would have in hotel rooms. Staying for a week like this in two different places could work well, or perhaps you might have a week in a holiday home and a few days either side in hotels.

If you choose a holiday home with some space around it and maybe by the water the children will get far more pleasure out of exploring the outdoors there than they will sitting in a car looking at the scenery. There are some great hotels in the fjord area of Norway with lovely gardens around them too. www.kviknes.no is one. www.hjelle.com is another.

Oslo
Level Contributor
15,303 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: family trip to norway - 2 week, help needed :)

From Oslo int'l airport you need some 5 hours to get to Sognefjord, 6-7 hours to Stryn (Hjelle hotel). Don't underestimate distances and driving times.

Shorter drives are for instance to Valdres area (highland) in 3-5 hours, Gudbrandsdal area (valley/highland) in 3 hours. Both are nice, but not like great fjord areas.

Valdres (road E16 and road 55):

…blogspot.com/-8aXHuz7LxeY/…IMG_3821.JPG

www.noors.be/vakantiehuis/Slidrefjorden.jpg

Gudbrandsdal (road E6 and road 15)

nmf.no/files/…nedreotta.jpg

…blogspot.com/-eqiw0jmAxcQ/…DSC_0393.JPG

tel aviv
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: family trip to norway - 2 week, help needed :)

Thanks for all the comments!!

We decided in the end to take 3 rvs.

I hope u can give some commentns here about what we can do if not ill open another thread..

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
29,163 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: family trip to norway - 2 week, help needed :)

I am very sorry, but we cannot tell you what to do, we can only give advise based on your inputs. You know your family best, their abilities and limitations. How many hours are you prepared to drive per day.

Norsc has given you some sound advise above - would that be an option at all ?

Where would you like to go, what do you expect to find, what kind of accomodation are you looking for. What made you choose Norway as a destination. Finding accomodation for a large group could be challenging as well, especially in the countryside like the fjords.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
29,163 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: family trip to norway - 2 week, help needed :)

And what time of year please.

Oslo
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: family trip to norway - 2 week, help needed :)

Here is an expensive, but less stressful itinerary: I would start in Oslo, in one of the good hotels in the town centre, as Continental or the Grand.

Stay 2-3 days in Oslo first. Then take the train to Bergen and stay in hotel Norge or Radisson Blu Royal Hotell, Bryggen. The daytime train has a special wagon with a playroom:

nsb.no/on-board/nsb-familie-article38204-434…

This is much more relaxing for the children than driving a car.

From Bergen, take the passenger fast ferry to Balestrand. Again, on the boat there is room for the kids to run around a little.

http://booking.norled.no/default.aspx

In Balestrand, stay at hotel Kvikne (ask for a room in the old part of the hotel):

http://www.kviknes.no/

The hotel can assist you in excursions, preferably by bus or boat, so you don't have to drive yourself:

kviknes.no/…Attraksjonar.aspx

Go back via plane from Bergen, or divide your return to Oslo in two, possibly staying over night in Flåm or Myrdal before taking the train to Oslo.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: family trip to norway - 2 week, help needed :)

If you will allow a side comment: I don't mean to be snarky, but it is a mystery to me how families from Asia can manage to travel in groups of 10-20p. With 50 years of travel experience, alone or in groups of different sizes, groups of more than 4p are only remembered as nightmares. It takes only one dissatisfied and grouchy person to destroy the trip for the whole group. I realize our cultures are different, otherwise these big family trips would be unthinkable. I would still like to emphasize an important point: The bigger the group, the more thorough travel planning is needed.

10. Re: family trip to norway - 2 week, help needed :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2014, 05:16