We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which city or town for 2 1/2 days?

Boston
Level Contributor
325 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Which city or town for 2 1/2 days?

We (husband, me and two 10 year old boys) would like to visit Norway as part of our northern European trip next summer. Because of our short time, I would want to pick city and base ourselves there. Husband and I would like to soak in some local flavor, food and see a fjord or local village. Boys want to be steeped in Viking culture. Which city or town might best fit those criteria? Also, I'm leaning against not doing the Nutshell tour, as it's expensive and the crowds are a bit off putting (though if that's the only way to go, we'll do it).

Would Oslo be the best choice?

Thanks!

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
26,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which city or town for 2 1/2 days?

How short is short ? Oslo for the Viking Ship Museum I suppose. Perhaps some general sightseeing as well. But Oslo is far from the fjords and it is not easy to do other than the Nutshell tours if you have very limited time.

2. Re: Which city or town for 2 1/2 days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 02 July 2013, 13:52
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
26,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which city or town for 2 1/2 days?

Sorry, you did say 2 1/2 day, that is VERY short. Hardly time even for Norway in a Nutshell.

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Which city or town for 2 1/2 days?

To make the most of your short visit I would go to Alesund and stay in a hotel in the town centre. If you hire a car you can make a fabulous round trip in a day without too much driving to include the Hjorundfjord, Norangsdalen and Geirangerfjord. Fine collection of old buildings and wooden boats at the Sunnmore Museum just outside Alesund. Viking culture just a short drive away on the island of Giske (via undersea road tunnel), and on the neighbouring island of Godoya there is a short mountain hike that any 10 year old could manage, especially with the promise of cakes in the lighthouse at Alnes afterwards. Also a very good aquarium just outside the town centre. Walking up the steps from the town centre park to the viewpoint Aksla will also challenge a ten year old, and the cafe at the top is good there too.

Boston
Level Contributor
325 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which city or town for 2 1/2 days?

Surely we can get a flavor of Norway in this time, can't we?

Is there no city we could base ourselves in that would allow us to visit a fjord one day and learn about Vikings the next?

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,015 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which city or town for 2 1/2 days?

There is a Viking museum at the Lofoten Islands: visitnorway.com/us/…

There is a Viking ship museum in Oslo: www.visitnorway.com/en/Product/?pid=29095

2 1/2 days may not give you time to experience what you want.

One suggestion is to fly into Bergen and do the Norway in a Nutshell one way to Oslo and fly out of Oslo to maximise your time.

www.visitbergen.com/en

www.visitoslo.com/en

www.fjordtour.com

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
5,217 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which city or town for 2 1/2 days?

http://www.lofotr.no has the largest building from the Viking ages they have found, and they have re-build it!

It's an alive museum where you also can sail in the fjords in a Viking ship.

So, maybe you should fly to Lofoten, to Svolvær or Leknes and stay at Henningsvær, where you will get all you are looking for, except a large city then..;)

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
26,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which city or town for 2 1/2 days?

A favourite quote from one of the papers interviewing a tourist during last year's season:

"You cannot see Norway in three days."

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Which city or town for 2 1/2 days?

As the OP said 'Surely we can get a flavor of Norway in this time, can't we?'

Yes, you certainly can, and there are some good suggestions above though I would question whether it is worth the travel time involved in going to remote places like Lofoten.

I think other posters need to remember that not everyone is retired, or has holidays as long as Norwegians get, and it's frankly quite rude to suggest that if people can't visit for more than a few days then they shouldn't bother.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
26,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which city or town for 2 1/2 days?

The OP did not like the idea of the NiN tours for getting to the fjords and it is not easy to find alternatives within a tiny timeframe. If they are visiting the UK, perhaps York and Jorvik could fulfil the Viking wish.

Edited: 03 July 2013, 14:15