We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to go and a few other things

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Best time to go and a few other things

Here in the States we typically travel in May or Sept because kids are in school and prices tend to drop. We were looking at May, but my wife wonders if weather a bit warmer in Sept. Our basic trip plan is Oslo and the fjords, and still working on how to do the fjords. One book I picked up said things start closing down in Sept and prices go up for rooms.

We like to cook in room when we can. In Spain we rented apartments two years ago. They were similar price to hotels. Seemed to be popular thing in Spain. Is there a similar popular accommodation type in Norway? probably will stay in Oslo and Bergen, though that is still open

Fjords? Any suggestion of best way to see the fjords. We are looking a train from Oslo to Flam boat to Bergen and train back to Oslo. But same guide book says Geirangerfjord is Norway's #1. but maybe that is because of cruise ships. I would like to avoid the big cruise ships.

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,117 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to go and a few other things

For the Western Fjords I would say mid May to end of August is the best time to visit. In September the summer is definately over and normally the weather brings lots of rain and wind. Of course there could be lovely sunny and crisp days, but the statistics speaks for itself. Take a look at Bergen for example last year, September was the wettest month: yr.no/place/…statistics.html

Some hotels have summer sales during the summer to attract tourists when there is less business travel. And your wife is right, accomodation in rural areas may start to close down in September since the season is over.

Apartments the way you find them in Spain is not common in Norway.

The best way to see the fjords is to pick one fjord area and explore it by renting a car. There is no need to rush from fjord to fjord, as the scenery is much the same. The Geirangerfjord is lovely, but the Sognefjord (and especially the Nærøyfjord branch) and the Hardangerfjord are equally beautiful.

The other alterantive is to travel by public transport. This is very well set up in the Norway in a Nutshell tours: www.fjordtours.com

If you would like to avoid big cruise ships, then stay away from Flåm and Geiranger. However, swinging by Flåm is needed if you would like to take the Flåm Railway and the fjord cruise on Nærøyfjorden (both highly recommended).

There are lots of posts on this forum which can help you plan your trip. Have you read through the relevant trip reports yet? tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g190455-i550-k3785…

Other good resources for planning are:

www.visitoslo.com/en

www.visitbergen.com/en

www.http://www.fjordnorway.com/en/

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to go and a few other things

I'd say May gives you the highest probability of decent weather, although weather in Norway generally tends to be a bit unpredictable, so nothing is a given. Example: July last year was overall pretty cold and wet here in Oslo, but quite the opposite this year. So I'd say May is probably your best bet. You'd also get more daylight hours in May.

You might do well looking into the "Norway in a nutshell"-tour for the fjords, at least as a starting point. It seems pretty popular, and although I've never tried it myself, several (American) friends of mine tell me nothing but good things about it: http://www.norwaynutshell.com/

Edited: 13 August 2013, 22:57
Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,117 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to go and a few other things

After having experienced snow both this year and last year at sea level in May in the Western Fjords, I would not go to Norway before mid May. I would probably consider late May as the earliest time to visit. But the general consensus on this forum is normally mid May through August.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to go and a few other things

Snow in May?? hmm. Really would rather not be there when it is cold enough to snow. or is that a nightime snow and days warmed a bit. We could drop back into June a bit, but our dog sitter can leave town during summer break. When do the kids get out of school in spring?

Thanks for Norway in a Nutshell link. some how I thought it was just one trip. should be able to find something there we like. Some of those quit end of August, I think

I tried to follow some of those trip reports, but many were old, and a little hard to decide which one to read.

As for cruise ships. I just want to avoid being in a small town when a huge cruise ship docks. I don't mind sharing the fjord as they pass by.

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,117 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to go and a few other things

Even though the trip reports are a few years old, the information in them are still valid. Most of the reports have a description to help you find relevant ones. Typically Oslo, Bergen and Norway in a Nutshell are indicators to look out for. If you want the latest reports, just start on the last page and no need to read all the winter reports from Tromso chasing Northern Lights.

It was snowing during day time in May. Not fun. The school year normally ends 3rd week in June.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,683 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time to go and a few other things

You will not find apartments exactly like in Spain, but there are self-catering options in most places in Norway. Conditions vary though; some require a minimum stay of 2-3 nights, others are by the week, others again like camping cabins are rented by the night.

And I agree with the others; late May early June would be better than September. Early in season the the nature is more spectacular with wild waterfalls, vivid colours, still snow on the peaks and fruit trees in blossom.

Oslo
Level Contributor
172 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time to go and a few other things

We went to the Hardarngerfjord area to see the blooming in May this year (around the 17th) and all we saw was snow and ice. So would definitly say no earlier than the middle of May, prefrably early June.

In Norway (and Scandinavia?) the kids are in school untill June the 20th (approx) and return August the 20th (approx).

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,683 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time to go and a few other things

The Spring was exceptionally late this year, next year it can be the other way around.

9. Re: Best time to go and a few other things

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2014, 06:23