We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Attractions on the way from Bodo to Oslo by train

Moscow, Moscow...
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Attractions on the way from Bodo to Oslo by train

Hello! I'm going to Norway at first week of October. I will travel by Eurail trains. Recommend me please what to see on my way from Bodo to Oslo. What exactly can I easily get by train, nice non-touristic places are especially wanted.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
25,817 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Attractions on the way from Bodo to Oslo by train

There are hardly any tourists in Norway in October - it is out of season. Trondheim city is worth a visit. Otherwise it depends on your budget and what kind of accomodation you are looking for. Most hostels and campings will be closed in off season. From Bodø you can cross by ferry to the Lofoten Islands where there are accomodation possibilities all year.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Attractions on the way from Bodo to Oslo by train

The railway line from Bodø to Trondheim runs mostly inland and is only moderately interesting. A detour to the coast of Helgeland (with bus) is recommended: http://www.visithelgeland.com/ (the English version doesn't work, use google translate). Mosjøen is a cute little town by Vefsnfjorden with well preserved wooden houses, well worth a stop: xn--sjgata-cya.no/wp-content/…MG_8799.jpg …wikimedia.org/wikipedia/…B8en.jpg nordnorge.com/sites/v/visithelgeland.com/fil…

From Mosjøen you can visit the home and museum of the priest/poet Petter Dass at Alstahaug: http://www.petterdass.no/ipub/

Trondheim is a nice town to stop for a day or two: visitnorway.com/en/…

Between Trondheim and Oslo I would recommend a stop at Røros: visitnorway.com/en/Where-to-go/Central/Roros/

Oslo
Level Contributor
13,758 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Attractions on the way from Bodo to Oslo by train

There is only NSB trains in Norway, Eurail is rail pass.

Røros town is on the eastern (Røros) line between Trondheim and Hamar, most travel on Dovre line through Dombås.

Røros is a nice and interesting little town, but in terms of landscape I would recommend Dovre line.

nsb.no/getfile.php/…B8rensen.jpg_300DPI.jpg

static.panoramio.com/photos/large/6555591.jpg

Moscow, Moscow...
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Attractions on the way from Bodo to Oslo by train

Thank you all! I have a plan to go from Bodo (after visiting Lofoten) on 6th October by train (if I understood correctly, I can do as many changes as I want with this pass - http://www.eurail.com/eurail-passes/regional-pass/norway-sweden), to do several stops at most beautiful points on my way without any accomodation (but bus trips from railway station are possible of course). It's better for me to sleep in night train and arrive to Oslo on 7th October.

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,457 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Attractions on the way from Bodo to Oslo by train

If you want to leave Bodo on the 6th and arrive in Oslo on the 7th (with the night train) the number of stops you'll be able to have are severly limited. They are actually limited to a 1h 8m stop in Trondheim for change of trains.

Bodo-Trondheim is 10 hours by train, while the over-night train from Trondheim to Oslo is 8 hours.

Tickets for Bodo-Oslo is still available for 499 NOK on www.nsb.no (no need for expensive passes).

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Attractions on the way from Bodo to Oslo by train

If you plan to leave Bodø on the 6th and arrive in Oslo on the 7th you will hardly have any time for stops. Second, it is not practical to make stops on the way if you travel by overnight train. Trains are not frequent. Check the train times at www.nsb.no . For a journey with stops from Bodø to Oslo you need more time.

7. Re: Attractions on the way from Bodo to Oslo by train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2014, 05:18