We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurtigruten xmas cruise

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hurtigruten xmas cruise

Hi all, we have booked a xmas/new year cruise for 12nights, has anyone out there been on one of these cruises before, if so could you tell us what happens onboard over that period, i have been searching for any reviews about this without luck.

We would also appreciate comments about any of the excursions that can be bought, good or bad!

Thanks in advance, Martin

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
25,829 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hurtigruten xmas cruise

A Christmas voyage would not be too different from other voyages, you will find some info here

hurtigruten.com/norway-voyages/…

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
6,931 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hurtigruten xmas cruise

We have a thread from 2007 which is still running today with lots of reviews. Please take the time to read through it if you have not already done so: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g190500-i932-k1348…

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hurtigruten xmas cruise

Thankyou, the link to the onboard xmas events was very helpful.

I have also read most of the reviews from the other link from 2007, thankyou.

I have read many mixed reviews about the cruise/ferry & none have detracted from the experience we are soon to enjoy, cant wait, whatever happens it will be a 1st for us, just hope we are blessed enough to see the "northern lights" as well, thanks Martin

xxxpavxxx
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hurtigruten xmas cruise

We are also going on the xmas / new year cruise 2013, we are very excited and just hope we see the northern lights. hopefully see you on board.

xxxpavxxx
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hurtigruten xmas cruise

hurtigruten.com/norway-voyages/…highlights

We booked our holiday through Iglu Cruises and here is the itinary I think it's exactly the same for the xmas and new year cruise iglucruise.com/ms-polarlys/19th-december-201…

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hurtigruten xmas cruise

Hi xxxpavxxx, which ship will you be travelling on, as there are four consecutive days doing the same trip, we will be on the "MS Richard With", thanks for the link, Martin

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,746 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hurtigruten xmas cruise

Would love to know how your trip went? We are contemplating for Christmas 2014. Thanks Donna

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hurtigruten xmas cruise

We had a fantastic trip, please feel free to ask whatever you'd like to know. Hard to cover the whole trip in a couple of minutes.

We were very lucky with the weather, ie the sea wasn't too rough, there were quite a few onboard activities to do with the 'Hunting the Lights' tour & xmas celebrations, but saying that we had a lot of time to sit around doing nothing, loads of fellow passengers were on their netbooks or tablets to pass the time. lack of daylight hours makes sightseeing a bit of a challenge, we docked about 60times, some stops for only 15mins - 45mins, the more major towns we had about 3hours +, you do have to remember that this is a working ship, delivering goods up & down the Norwegian Coast so hence a ferry/cruise trip.

We were on the 'MS Richard With', a comfortable ship, clean & had very friendly helpful staff, the food in our opinion was wonderful, breakfast was buffet style, similar options every day but still a good choice, lunch was the same, again some dishes copied through the trip but still a wide choice, dinner was more formal, you are allocated a table to sit at, this will be the same table for your entire trip, they did seem to sit you with similar aged guests at your table, some tables seat 6, some 4 etc.

That's enough for now, just have to add that we did see the 'Northern Lights' 5times, amazing!!

As I said before, please ask any questions & i'll be more than happy to give you my honest opinion, incase your wondering, id definitely do the trip again, cheers Martin

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hurtigruten xmas cruise

we also are contemplating for Xmas 2014 but planning just to do the 7 days up to Kirkenes , stay there a couple of days and fly back from there. I have read there is zero daylight hours there from January 1st and wondering if anyone has done the husky sledge tours and the king crab ice fishing tours at Kirkenes which I gather must be in the dark. I cant find any forums anywhere discussing the value of this in the dark! Can anyone help. Thanks

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
5,053 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hurtigruten xmas cruise

It`s not totally dark, but daylight about 3 hours from 10 am to 1 pm, and if you are there when the moon is up, then you will see a lot of the enviroment around you.

And the Arctic Blue lights it`s just amazing together with Aurora`s dance, so... enjoy..;)

Edited: 15 June 2014, 19:39