We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeing the Fjords in April 2014

Masham
Level Contributor
11 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Seeing the Fjords in April 2014

Planning a trip from UK (North) to Norway in April 2014. We would welcome views about best way to see Fjords and Arctic. We prefer to be semi-independent rather than part of a tour group. We plan to be away for about 8 or 9 days. Thanks

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,005 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeing the Fjords in April 2014

Note that mainland Norway is not really arctic, although half of Norway is above the arctic circle. If you want to see the Northern lights, in (early) April the lights may still be visible.

There are few tours organized inside Norway, most departing from abroad (UK, Denmark...).

April is still winter in the very north (and highlands) while there is plenty of daylight and sunshine, giving an arctic feeling.

In April the iconic fjords of Western Norway are still surrounded by gray/snowy hills after winter.

Voss/Hardanger/Sogn in early April

vossnow.net/Database/…5Cfoto76821.jpg

vossnow.net/Database/…5Cfoto76849.jpg

vossnow.net/Database/…5Cfoto42112.jpg

vossnow.net/Database/…5Cfoto55579.jpg

Bergen rail line at Finse

vossnow.net/Database/…5Cfoto76711.jpg

vossnow.net/Database/…5Cfoto76695.jpg

Troms county in March

https:/…_2012_March.jpg

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
59 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeing the Fjords in April 2014

My hubby and I are also planning a trip to see the Northern Lights end-March to early April in 2014. We are from Singapore and have to be in Manchester from 5th April.

I've checked Trosmo; many guides are telling me that the Northern Lights "season" end 21st Mar. Trying to plan Alta. but very worried about the harsh cold winter that far north as we are not used to extreme winters.

Do you have other recommendations? I have been trying to find a Northern Norway only tour the past month, but no luck so far... ... Would appreciate some advice.

Thank you.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
26,272 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeing the Fjords in April 2014

It is still possible to observe the NL in late March/early April, but after the equinox the daylight hours are getting longer every day and even though the sun sets the afterglow lasts quite long after sunset this far north. This late in the season you need a late display for a good viewing. Guided tours run till the first week in April.

Going to Alta instead of Tromsø will not make any difference.

For the true and real arctic you need to travel to Svalbard/Longyearbyen.

I think British tour operators would be able to organise a trip to Norway for you. If you go to VisitNorway UK edition, there will be a list of those.

Edited: 14 December 2013, 11:44
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
5 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seeing the Fjords in April 2014

Hi - We only have two full days in western Norway on our trip next May. Is it possible to see both Geiranger fjord and Sognefjord in two days? Oslo has flights to Alesund or Bergen, so we could fly into one of those cities. What do you recommend? I see Norway in a Nutshell has a trip to Sognefjord from Bergen. Do you recommend taking that one-way and then somehow getting to Sognefjord?

Thank you for your help!

Jeana

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,005 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seeing the Fjords in April 2014

Geirangerfjord and Sognefjord are too far apart, and they are not that different. If you have only 2 days, the grand Sognefjord and it's arms is more than enough, and you will not be disappointed. The nutshell includes the very narrow Nærøyfjord (a branch of Sognefjord)

https:/…29.jpg

Aurlandsfjord is nextdoor

https:/…B8vegen.jpg

"Do you recommend taking that one-way and then somehow getting to Sognefjord?"

Not sure what you mean by this question.

Oslo
Level Contributor
244 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Seeing the Fjords in April 2014

Jeana: Well - it is possible if you rent a car, but definitely a little busy and probably a little expensive. 11h effective driving Ålesund-Geiranger-Flåm-Bergen. So if you really want to see both fiords - and don't mind about the driving - you will make it (and the road trip is awesome when the weather is nice).

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
5,163 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seeing the Fjords in April 2014

Excuse me, Aurora0008; How can the guides tells you the Aurora ends at March 21st..?

If you have the names of the guides who told you this, then I will call them and teach them some facts!

We can see the Aurora or Northern lights as far we have darkness, and I have seen it to April 21st.

But, the last guided tours runs to April 15th, and begin at September 1st...

But, you can see it from mid-August..:)

8. Re: Seeing the Fjords in April 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2014, 05:17