We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bergen in January

Pembroke, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Bergen in January

I am thinking of going back to my roots and visiting Bergen, Norway at the end of January.The reason for January being it is my birthday and a good opportunity and occasion to go.

Can anyone tell me whether visiting at the end of January is a good idea?.

Some people have told me no due to short daylight hours and ridiculously low temperatures.

P.s I dont mind if it would be somewhat cold, but not say, -4'C or colder.

Many thanks

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
26,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bergen in January

Although Bergen has one of the mildest climates in Norway, temperatures may drop to below -4C in January. How the situation will be in January next year is absolutely impossible to predict as conditions vary a lot from one year to another. -4C and clear, crisp conditions are much more prefarable than +4C, wind and horizontal sleet.

yr.no/place/…statistics.html

Daylight hours are at their shortest in January.

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,521 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bergen in January

January are the month when we Norwegians are waiting. We wait for the sun to rise. We wait for February to come with better skiing conditions. We wait for April with spring and flowers. Or we wait for the charter-plane to bring us to a more pleasant climate in The Canary Islands. None of us go to Bergen unless we live, or have a business there.

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Bergen in January

If you are not Norwegian you may well find visiting Bergen a good experience in January. The climate will be just as Klima says, really not that much different from Pembroke but a few degrees colder. Daylight hours are at their shortest in late December and you will have about 7 - 8 hours full daylight by late January.

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,054 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bergen in January

End of January is about 1 hour later sunset compared to early January.

No month in Bergen is below zero C on average, so there is usually no persistent snow downtown, although snow may be stay for weeks on the city mountains.

Bergen can be lovely on dry, cool winter day, but can also be bleak with no reason to go outside. Never really cold like Oslo. But as Klima points out: clear weather at -4C is much better (and warmer!) than +2C and rainy wind.

Pembroke, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bergen in January

Thank you all for your help. I believe I will visit Bergen in January now for a short city break.......I can not wait! :)

6. Re: Bergen in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2014, 05:19