We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire and driving in Norway

Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire and driving in Norway

Hi there,

Has anyone hired cars in Norway and how did they find driving around? We have very limited time and feel this would be the cheapest and easiest way for us to see what we want to see.

Honestly though I have never hired cars in other countries and I am wandering what peoples experiences were.

We are hoping to travel to some fjords.

Thanks

Lauren

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
13,562 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Car Hire and driving in Norway

We could be a lot more helpful if you would post the information suggested in tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g190455-i550-k54…

For example does 2 1/2 days mean 2, 3 or 4 nights? Times of arrival & departure, dates, where you are from are all relevant, then we could check how busy Flåm is likely to be etc.

Basically the main tourist fjords have a certain degree of similarity in striking scenery. In your time frame it might be best to keep it simple with good public transport connections, i.e. NiN. Driving up to Geiranger would again cost you a couple of days mostly on long, and for Norwegians, not particularly interesting streches of road.

Edited: 12 November 2013, 12:51
Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Car Hire and driving in Norway

Use Google Maps to check driving times and distances, but allow 1 minute per km rather than Google times. Geiranger is way too far to do with the time you have available.

13. Re: Car Hire and driving in Norway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2014, 06:20