We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving uk to Norway

England
Level Contributor
4,422 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Driving uk to Norway

As a supplement to my thread on a Fjord Cruise, I'm now considering driving from the uk

to Norway and taking say four weeks over it. I realise it is a long way. However we have driven to the extreme south of Spain several times no problem and have a decent car. The journey through northern europe would be interesting. Has anyone experience of this.

as a student in the late 60s me and the former Mrs Trickster hitch hiked* uk to Stockholm. I think it took us about 5 days to get there.

Alternatively we could fly into Bergen and pick up a hire car there.

what do you think?

* Hitch hiking was a means of travel very popular with young people in those days. It doesn't seem to exist any more.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
25,819 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving uk to Norway

Well, you will have to cross the Channel, head northwards to Kiel for the ferry to Oslo or to Copenhagen for a different ferry to Oslo. Alternatively to the top of Denmark for a ferry to Kristiansand or Larvik. Second alternative is bridge connection (toll bridge) Denmark/Sweden (Øresund) then crossing into Norway.

Try google maps or viaMichelin to plan your itinerary including estimated costs. Do not forget to add time for ferry crossings and costs. If you enjoy driving, no probs. It is probably more economical to catch a flight and rent a car though. Again, depending on budget.

England
Level Contributor
4,422 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving uk to Norway

Thanks Klima

Yes I'd already looked at viamichelin. It takes you to the top of Denmark.

I'm coming to the conclusion that this proposed trip to Norway is gonna cost an arm and a leg whichever way you do it!

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
12,007 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving uk to Norway

Consider the Hull - Esbjerg (Denmark) ferry dfdsseaways.co.uk/ferry-routes/…

Then the Hirtshalls -Kristiansand ferry fjordline.com/Routes-and-destinations/…

or colorline.com/crossings/from_hirtshals_to_kr…

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
646 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving uk to Norway

I drive from Germany to Oslo several times a year and I usually pick one of the following two options:

1) The ferry from Kiel to Oslo is the realxed version, and sailing into the Oslo fjord is very nice.

2) The other option is driving across the bridges in Denmark (Federicia - Odense - Copenhagen - Malmö). That is quicker, but can also be a nice experience if you have never been to Denmark before.

If you are not going to Oslo, but rather further west in Norway then drive to the top of Denmark and catch a ferry to Kristiansand

England
Level Contributor
4,422 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving uk to Norway

Thanks dysoll and epsen

SWMBO has rejected the idea of driving.

Edited: 30 November 2013, 09:05
Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving uk to Norway

www.dfdstorline.co.uk is a freight service that takes passengers and cars as well from Immingham (Hull) to Brevik (Drammen). Approx. £1000 return inc. all meals. Very inconvenient timings both ends. You could hire a car for three weeks for the same price, flights from the UK about £150 pp.

England
Level Contributor
4,422 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving uk to Norway

Thanks

8. Re: Driving uk to Norway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 December 2014, 05:18