We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northern Lights in July???

Melbourne
Level Contributor
111 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Northern Lights in July???

We are planning a trip to Europe for next year. Starting off in England for the last week or so of June, then heading off to perhaps Norway, then Berlin, then the South of Italy. The main, near to exclusive reason for visiting Norway, is the hope of seeing the Northern Lights.

Some people have laughed at me when I have told them the month of July is when we are aiming to find these gorgeous natural fireworks...But then again, none of them have been to Norway.

Is it a terrible idea to aim to see the Northern Lights in July of 2014??? If not, what areas would be our best bet??? Ideally, we could stay in a cabin, private and log fire and snow all around...

Must this dream wait for other months???

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers,

Daniel

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
England
England
United Kingdom
Norway
Norway
Europe
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Italy
Italy
Europe
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
280 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Northern Lights in July???

At this time of the year the sun hardly sets or hadn't you thougjt if that?

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
30,975 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Northern Lights in July???

North-Norway has 24 hrs daylight and midnight sun in July - you need darkness to observe the NL. After the autumn equinox and you are in for a chance. Note that you will have to travel beyond the arctic circle, for example to Tromsø or the Lofoten islands.

Mentioned in this post
Norway
Norway
Europe
Lofoten Islands
Lofoten Islands
Nordland, Norway
Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,990 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Northern Lights in July???

I know that July is mid-winter in Australia, but in the northern hemisphere it's high summer.

If you want snow in July New Zealand would be an alternative. If you go there you might even get treated to a show of the Aurora Australis (Southern Lights) - the further south you go the better the chances.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Northern Lights in July???

Normally I would say absolutely not. I have seen some spectacular displays in Iceland in September and would have thought that was as early as they get.

Except - we have been resident in Moscow, Russia, for the past 2.5 years and last night (July 7) I woke up at about 2.30am and I could see the northern lights. I was very surprised as I would normally have said we were way too far south; the lights of Moscow would typically obscure such any such display if it did occur; and July is not the time of year to see an aurora. Must have been some quite intense atmospheric solar activity going on.

So there you go - natural phenomenon can do the unexpected. But I wouldn't recommend coming to Moscow expecting to see the northern lights in July - or see them here at any other time for that matter.

Edited: 08 July 2014, 08:32
Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Moscow
Moscow
Central Russia, Russia
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
30,975 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Northern Lights in July???

On some rare occasions you get the NL further south, in south Norway maybe once or twice per year. The clue is that it is never dark enough in Norway in July to be able to see them, and definitely not now in July when the sun is shining around the clock. In Moscow the sun sets at 10 pm right now and with a late display the NL will be visible when there.

Mentioned in this post
Norway
Norway
Europe
Moscow
Moscow
Central Russia, Russia
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Northern Lights in July???

I don't think is a good Idea to visit norway in July just to see the auroras. Nevertheless, Norway worth a visit with or without auroras.

The places which will be dark at night (being a short night) are too south to ensure auroras, and the north will have too sunlight to see the NL.

Mentioned in this post
Norway
Norway
Europe
Oslo
Level Contributor
415 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Northern Lights in July???

In the month of July is still a perfect month to go to Norway, maybe not to see the Northern Lights but to see the midnight sun. The more you go to the north the longer it will be light. It is also a great thing to check out and you won't really miss a thing. The midnight sun and the Northern Lights both have their own charm.

You can read more about the midnight sun here:

visitnorway.com/en/…

Mentioned in this post
Norway
Norway
Europe
8. Re: Northern Lights in July???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 09:16