We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

crossing border rented car

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
183 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
crossing border rented car

I'm planning a vacation next march. After Reading some posts, it seems to me that it is possible to cross borders to Sweden without any problems, charges, etc. Is it true? (in any case we will give back car to the same city)

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
23,966 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: crossing border rented car

That is true,but you need to return the car to Sweden. Check with the rental car company for detailed information. There may be an extra insurance (happened to me for taking a rental in Spain into France for example).

Edited: 10 January 2014, 08:15
Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
183 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: crossing border rented car

that's a bad news, since returning the car to another city is always more expensive!

Really doesn't assurance cover Sweden!?

I found this: It seems that with Alamo rented cars can cross scandinavian borders without problems/surcharge:

http://www.alamo.no/rentalpolicies/1665/no/NO

Did I understand correctly (google translater)?

Edited: 10 January 2014, 10:44
Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,297 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: crossing border rented car

I think klimaflyktning maybe misunderstood your post and that you where renting in Sweden and driving it into Norway (car rentals tend to be cheaper in Sweden).

Hertz also allows you to cross the border without any fees (I belive most large companies operating in Norway do this - but check anyway).

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
183 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: crossing border rented car

ah, ok. yes, we will land in norway,rent a car, take a visit to Sweden and then go back to Norway.

I found that also for Sixt there are not problems.

thanks,

5. Re: crossing border rented car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2015, 06:18