We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking in Norway in May

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Topic
Hiking in Norway in May

Hey,

I will be in Europe from early to late may, looking at Norway as an option from 9 May - 22 May or so. I will be arriving at Oslo and travelling to Bergen, spending a day at most in each city. I will be exploring the western fjords after this.

Could anyone recommend hikes that can be reached via public transport that are open and/ or worth doing during this time period anywhere in Norway? Any hike in any location would do. I have tried searching the forum (and the internet) but majority of the hikes recommended are highland summer hikes which as I understand are likely to be buried in snow in May (Jotunheimen too, sadly). I will plan my trip around these hikes.

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Norway
Norway
Europe
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
30,941 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking in Norway in May

If you can make do with shorter day hikes, the list is endless and includes Oslo and Bergen. The easiest would be to narrow down to the places you would like to visit and search for hikes.

From Eidfjord for example:

www.hardangerfjord.com/en/Product/?TLp=561793

Some are at Hardangervidda so please check the seaon at www.ut.no

There are a couple of peaks to climb in Rosendal

In the Sognefjord area

www.sognefjord.no/en/Product/?TLp=466124

http://www.visitflam.com/en/hiking/

Stalheim

english.stalheim.dnn.gasta.no/Default.aspx…

Aurland

www.sognefjord.no/en/Product/?TLp=263750

Mentioned in this post
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
Eidfjord Municipality
Eidfjord Municipality
Hardanger, Norway
Stalheim Hotel
Stalheim Hotel
377 Reviews
Stalheim, Norway
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
705 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking in Norway in May

From Oslo you can take the metro straight out in the forest - with a huge choice of hiking trails. Then you can go back and enjoy an evening in the city. That way you can combine wilderness and city-life

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking in Norway in May

Aurland looks good. I suppose I'll take the train from Bergen to Flam and bus from there to Aurland. I'll do the entire 4 day Aaurlandsdalen Valley hike if the entire hike is open at 20+ May. If not, I suppose I can always bus up from Flam up to Osterbo or Stemmerdalen and hike back to Vasasbygdi from there, and spend another day doing day hikes around Flam or Aurland. Is this sensible?

Mentioned in this post
Aurland Municipality
Aurland Municipality
Sogn og Fjordane, Norway
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
Flam
Flam
Aurland Municipality, Norway
Oslo
Level Contributor
16,286 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking in Norway in May

Everywhere is generally open any time, but should be aware that May is early hiking season (in fact skiing season in the highlands). So many places will have too much snow or there is lots of water everywhere because of melting snow. Exact season varies form year to year, but in general you should not plan hikes in the highland in May. Note that mountains in west Norway are not peaks emerging from lowlands, it is the other way around, Norwegian lowlands are cracks in the shield that makes up most of Norway. So if there is snow in the highland, lower parts of valleys such as Aurlandsdalen and Utladalen are the places of wilderness hikes.

Utladalen

…staticflickr.com/3295/2731817050_a989f96949…

Flåm/Aurland area May

vossnow.net/Database/…5Cfoto70637.jpg

vossnow.net/Database/…5Cfoto29937.jpg

Bergen line in May (800-1200 meters)

vossnow.net/Database/…5Cfoto77548.jpg

vossnow.net/Database/…5Cfoto77545.jpg

vossnow.net/Database/…5Cfoto70281.jpg

vossnow.net/Database/…5Cfoto42866.jpg

Mountains close to the coast (around Bergen) are usually free of snow in May.

…robodoc.net/wp-content/…7fjellsturen01a.jpg

This is in the midle of Bergen

…hoysater.no/wp-content/…IMG_1139.jpg

…hoysater.no/wp-content/…IMG_1189.jpg

Mentioned in this post
Norway
Norway
Europe
Aurland Municipality
Aurland Municipality
Sogn og Fjordane, Norway
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
30,941 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking in Norway in May

The lower part of Aurlandsdalen would probably be ok in May, but the bus does not run until mid June when the hiking season starts. You might consider hiking along the Flåm Railway. For the upper part of the valley it may still be too early because of the snow conditions, but the good thing is that you can get off at a convenient station below Myrdal and hike back down again.

Edited: 27 February 2014, 19:57
Mentioned in this post
Myrdal
Myrdal
Hordaland, Norway
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking in Norway in May

@OsloViking thanks for the heads up. Yeah I was considering Jotunheimen, Kjerag, Bakkanosi and Trolltunga (couple of other more hikes as well) till I realised that they're likely to be snowed in. Bergen looks great, looks like I might be in time for the Seven Mountains Hike too (although I'll likely settle for Four, since I'm not a seasoned walker. Aurland looks doable too - at least, the lowlands. I think Osterbo - Vassbygni should be alright? Starts at 800m or so and descends to 50m. Osterbo Fjellstove listed last year's hiking season as starting from May 24th.

@klimaflyktning Sounds good. Flam seems like a great area for hiking in general. I read on the VisitNorway website that Osterbo Fjellstove provides services ferrying hikers to various starting points throughout Aurlandsdalen when buses aren't in service. Besides that, what're my options for reaching Osterbo?

I'm getting a bit greedy here, but I'm also looking for a hike along the fjords. From what has been posted, I gather that the most hiker-friendly and accessible fjords (from Oslo, Bergen of Stavanger) would be Nærøyfjord, Aurlandsfjord and Sognefjord. Which hikes in these fjords (or other fjords) would you personally recommend?

Edit: Okay I did a bit more research, pretty much EVERY fjord has a few hiking trails. So, which are your favourite fjord hikes?

Edited: 28 February 2014, 20:26
Mentioned in this post
Kjerag
Kjerag
431 Reviews
Forsand Municipality, Norway
Trolltunga
Trolltunga
1,021 Reviews
Odda, Norway
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
Aurland Municipality
Aurland Municipality
Sogn og Fjordane, Norway
Flam
Flam
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Stavanger
Stavanger
Stavanger Municipality, Norway
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
30,941 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking in Norway in May

Last year the Østerbø mountain lodge opened May 24th. I do not know if they offer any transport - perhaps if you plan to stay for a period of several nights they will take you to a starting point for you to return to the cabin in the evening. Otherwise, the bus is the only option if you do not have a car.

The different legs of the Aurlandsdalen hike are quite long. For a reasonably fit hiker you need to estimate 7 hours - more if you are inexperienced.

Every fjord has an abundance of hiking trails - there is no shortage at all.

Edited: 28 February 2014, 21:24
Oslo
Level Contributor
16,286 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiking in Norway in May

For Aurlandsdalen perhaps consider starting from base (Vassbygdi), then return when you have had enough. When you are not familiar with terrain and conditions, often best to start from base and return same way, then you don't get any surprises.

Along the fjords the season is early. You are free to hike anywhere, Flåm/Aurland and Gudvangen has many options, ask locals once there.

Molden summit is an example of a rewarding "fjord" hike, may be free of snow late May.

www.visitnorway.com/us/product/?pid=72839

Mentioned in this post
Aurland Municipality
Aurland Municipality
Sogn og Fjordane, Norway
Gudvangen
Gudvangen
9. Re: Hiking in Norway in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 March 2014, 13:35
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,823 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hiking in Norway in May

Spam - reported.